Chapter 22

I shrugged my jacket on and pulled the curtain back. I looked at myself in the mirror directly across from the shower. I had replaced Peter's oversized white t-shirt for the new black v-neck. It showed the bruises that littered my collarbone, but I felt a lot more like myself. A tired and beat-up version, but still myself.

Angel was still waiting in the hall when I left the bathroom. She noticed my changed shirt and nodded with a smile, letting me know she approved of the small change.

"We can talk in my room. Less people staring at me." There were less people walking around the hall as I looked around. Probably most were at their jobs, but the few that were around had no shame in making it very obvious that I was the entertainment. Angel looked around and nodded.

I walked back to my door, handing Angel my door key so that I didn't embarrass myself trying to open it again. She smiled and gladly opened my door without saying a word. We walked in and I apologized for my mess on the floor. Not like I expected any house guests. She laughed and sat at the chair that was tucked under the desk. I sat my towel, soap, and Peter's shirt on the dresser before sitting on the edge of my bed.

"So, I heard what happened at the market this morning." Angel didn't hesitate as soon as I sat down.

I snorted. "Yeah, wasn't informed that my dirty laundry was going to be aired to every single person in this damn place." I rubbed my forehead with my left hand.

"Sorry you had to find out that way. I know it sucks to not have control of the narrative, but it's even worse when Negan has the control. How are you doing?" There was genuine empathy in her voice which made me wonder if she had gone through something similar when she arrived here, or from before.

"I'm rolling with the punches. Physically and metaphorically." I lifted my head to see Angel's face and saw she had a small smile on her lips.

"I saw Peter going to Dr. Carson's. Is that the punch you're talking about?"

I sighed. "One of them. I just wanted to be left alone." Angel got up from her chair and sat on the bed next to me.

"You know, I was told a story, but I still don't know your story. That will always be yours to tell or not tell. No one here knows what it was like besides you. Don't let their stares make you forget that." She placed her right hand over my left and squeezed it lightly. I smiled up at her and let the moment hang between us for a minute. Angel pressed her lips together and let go of my hand. "How about we clean up your room and then I'll give you a tour before I work this afternoon?"

"Are you saying my room is dirty?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes." I feigned being offended." You've been here a day and it's already a mess. Let's put your stuff away. Make it feel like a semblance of a home." I scoffed at her use of the word 'home' but she didn't seem to notice. She stood and started pickup up the clothes on the floor. I stood and grabbed the thin comforter off of the floor.

"You can put those in the dresser. Wherever." I threw the blanket over the bed and made the bed. Angel stepped over to the dresser behind me and I heard one open. I put my pillow on top of the blanket and turned to face her. Her back was facing me and I saw the clothes she had grabbed off the floor where on top of the dresser next to my towel from earlier. I watched her stand for a moment and took a step forward to see if she was okay. I peeked over her shoulder and saw the top drawer opened, making the hoodie visible.

Angel glanced over her shoulder and realized I was standing right behind her. She quickly wiped her face and opened her mouth to say something but closed it and cleared her throat. "Sorry. I didn't mean to open this drawer."