xxix. love you by myself

There are times when Keefe feels exhausted by life. These are times when he stays up into the wee hours of the morning, remembering to feed himself a single meal in a day, and exhausting himself with few activities. His therapist would call this "depression", Keefe would call it being tired. Different perspectives are crazy. It doesn't help that everyone agrees with his therapist, calling him depressed.

It's not even that big of a deal, he goes outside like he's supposed to. He spends time with Foster every day.

So why is he still tired?

His thoughts are the most exhausting part.

You don't deserve this. Foster deserves better, she'll realize it soon. You weren't made to be good. Blah, blah, blah.

It's all just noise at the end of the day, sounding a little too much of his long deceased mother. Booooo. Fuck that old hag.

Foster is the one who drags him out of bed every morning so they can spend the day doing something other than wallowing in his exhaustion.

She is the one who makes sure that he interacts with people other than her. She makes him meals so he remembers to nourish himself. She is the reason Keefe is still okay.

Relatively okay, that is.

But alas, this wasn't something Sophie could magic away, as much as she wishes she could. This looming cloud over his life wasn't going away any time soon. It lifted at times, almost waving away, but it always returned with a vengeance. Keefe's illness enjoyed reminding him that he didn't deserve to be happy.

Sophie Foster enjoyed reminding him the opposite.

Her fingers curl protectively around his, his head resting on her shoulder as he nods in and out of sleep. She presses a kiss to the back of his palm as he lets out another yawn, nuzzling his head into her shoulder.

They often sit like this at the end of a day, chattering on about their activities when Keefe isn't weighed down by life pulling at his chest. On days like today, Sophie holds a book in one hand, Keefe's hand in the other. On days like today, no words need to be spoken.

The two of them can allow the summer's breeze and the setting sunlight settle between them.

And the next morning, maybe Keefe's heart will feel just a little bit lighter.

~
406 words

a/n little story of happiness for you! ❤️