viii. y-you're what?!

The bright light shone through the windows, effectively waking Keefe up. He simply turned to the side, refusing to acknowledge that he had duties and needed to wake up. Waking was a slow process in the Foster household.

The sun refused to let Keefe go back to sleep, so he turned over, fishing though the sheets for his wife. His arms wrapped around her waist and he buried his face into the crook of her neck, breathing in her scent. He began to place soft kisses over her supple skin, she began to stir.

"What time is it?"

"Why it's almost nine, my love." Keefe said, watching in childish glee as Sophie started to blush, just as she did each time he used a new nickname on her. You'd think she'd at least get a little used to it, but no. She blushed just as much as she did the first time he had used a nickname on her.

"Do I need to get up?" She asked, though she already knew the answer.

Their friends had grown to take over the collective for the Black Swan, and Team Valiant was still going strong. Sophie had also become a Keeper, just as Alden and Quinlin had predicted all those years ago. Keefe was, beyond all odds, a teacher at Foxfire. It was a weekend, so Keefe was off, but Sophie wasn't so lucky.

"Ugh," Sophie groaned. "I feel like shit."

Keefe's ears perked up, suddenly alert. "What do you mean?"

"I dunno," she said. "I feel sick."

He felt her face, she did look a bit pale. "You're a little warm. Want to get Elwin to check you out?"

"I'll be okay," Sophie whispered, her arm covering her face. "It's probably nothing."

They laid in bed together for a few more moments until Sophie realized she would probably be late if she didn't start moving.

"Noo," Keefe said as Sophie started to get up. "Stay with me."

He reached out blindly for his wife, his arm finding nothing.

"I have to go to work."

"At least give me a kiss before you go?"

"Nuh-uh. I'm not kissing you until you brush your teeth."

"Pleeease?"

"Just brush your teeth, then I will kiss you Keefe." Sophie said, and Keefe just knew she was blushing.

Then, Sophie turned and ran off.

"Foster?" Keefe asked, sitting up. "Sophie?"

No response.

Panic starting to build up in his throat, he climbed out of bed, following the hallway Sophie had all the way to their bathroom, where Sophie was puking up her guts.

"God, you must really be sick." Keefe cursed, moving to sit next to Sophie, he held her hair back, trying to help any way he could.

Keefe didn't know how long they sat there for, but Sophie eventually sputtered to a stop. And Keefe rubbed her back as she coughed up the last of her dinner.

"You okay?" Keefe asked her.

Sophie turned and sat on the ground with her back against Keefe's chest. "I don't know. Something's wrong, Keefe." She looked up at him, worry building up in her eyes.

"O-okay, so we'll take you to see Elwin later." Keefe stuttered.

Sophie was his everything. She was the reason he woke up in the morning, and to think something might be wrong with her, terrified him beyond measure.