~ Shopping ~

"Do we really have to physically sit for our portraits?" Jeremiah's voice filled the kitchen, "Can't she just, like, look at a picture on her phone or something? Ok, get out!" Steven was leaning his head over Jere's shoulder, he was probably makin...

"Do we really have to physically sit for our portraits?" Jeremiah's voice filled the kitchen, "Can't she just, like, look at a picture on her phone or something? Ok, get out!" Steven was leaning his head over Jere's shoulder, he was probably making his fancy hangover juice.

"She needs to see you in the flesh in order to capture your essence, while you're still young and full of hope" Laurel was only laughed at, "Her words."

"Well, Conrad does not have hope, actually. He's hopeless, like usual, but nothing a hangover smoothie can't fix," I cut in, entering the kitchen. "But are you serious? Mom painting our pictures again?" Laurel nodded.

"Can you please just hurry up?" Conrad groans.

"Just go back to bed, alright?" Jere shushes him.

"She hasn't painted you since you were little, I think it would be nice to have these portraits for when you're older"

"Old. No. When I'm older I'm sure there'll be some holograms or some shit like that, you know?" Steven rambles.

"Just sit for your portraits, I don't see Conrad complaining." Laurel points to a half-conscious Conrad sprawled across the sofa.

"He'll complain when he's conscious," Jere walks over to hand him the smoothie.

"Come on man, hurry your as us. I can't be late for my first day of work," Steven literally slaps Jere's ass as he walks by. What. On. Earth. "Those old country club boomers are going to tip me so hard they won't know what hit 'em." He thrusts into the air, I catch Laurel's eye both of us looking bewildered. I'm glad we have moved on from last night.

Belly enters from the back door, and Laurel turns her focus on where her daughter has been, I zoned out until Mom enters.

"Oh my god," she grins, "Belly is going to be a debutante."

"It's really not that big of a deal," Belly says while my mom gives her a big hug.

"I'm sorry. Like, Belly? Like, my sister? Like, that thing right there?" Steven makes fun of her, mocking being shocked.

"Shut up, cretin," He retaliates.

"Oh, Just you wait. This is going to be so much fun. There is, uh... there's the tea, the auction, the ball, of course, the rehearsal. I got to write this down." She looks around for a notebook, "Oh, and we need to go shopping, you're coming with us too Amaya."

I groan but agree, "Yeah, sure I don't have anything else to do, since Conrad's as entertaining as a sponge."

"This sounds expensive" Laurel queries.

"Don't worry Laur, it's on me. It was my idea after all, and we still need to style you for your book party so..."

"Belly, are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't seem very you." Laurel turns to her daughter.

"It's not," Conrad says, from the sofa.

"Conrad, could you please be a little bit more supportive?" Our mom shushes him, "Now which two of you are going to be Belly's and Amaya's escorts to the ball?"

"Not me. I went last year." Conrad denies.

"Yeah, and I swore off balls," Jere says, getting a snort from Steven, "The dances, dude."

"Wow, guys. Stop fighting over us." Belly laughs.

"It's fine Belly, we can find our own escorts," I grin at her.

"Wikipedia says debutante balls require instruction in morals and social etiquette." Laurel reads from her computer.

"Belly could use some etiquette, yeah." Steven jokes from the sink.

"No offense, Beck. But I don't feel like a country club is the best place to teach Belly and Amaya about morals."

"That's what I've been saying, thank you, Laurel." I point at her.

"Laur, times have changed. There's a girl debbing this season, and she's bringing her girlfriend as her escort and the club was fine with it."

"How very progressive of them."

"Here you go, Belly Button," Jere hands her a plate of bacon and eggs, "May," he had me a coffee.

"Well, hurry up we have shopping to do," Susannah tells Laurel.

"It's not like I was getting any work done anyway," Laurel sighs.

Already two hours into shopping, I think I have lost my mind. We've been to about ten different shops, collecting, fascinators,  hats, skirts, dresses, tops, shoes, jewelry and so much more. Mom even suggested, more than one time, for me and Belly to get matching things, which thankfully, Laurel immediately shut down saying that we are too old for her to dress us up the same.

Finally, we got to our last stop, shopping for the ball gowns.

It was Belly's turn first, she waltzed out in a shimmery floaty dress that did not fit her.

"Oh boy. That is..." Susannah falters.

"No, put that away," Laurel was getting tired, relatable.

Next, she came out with a floral lacy one with a strange neckline. My mom turned around in her chair, away from the horrific dress.

"You were right about this one," She says to Laurel.

"Next one," I say, trying to sound interested.

Then Belly barely made it out of the dressing room, her dress was so poofy that it touched both sides of the doorway. Belly was not impressed, so she sat down on the floor, her skirt drowning her. What have I signed up for?

Finally, Belly was standing in front of the mirror in a beautiful floy dress that complimented her figure. Its on the shoulder straps fell gracefully as she smiled at our moms.

"Oh my god," they said in sync.

"Yeah, it is something," Belly smiles, seeming unsure.

"Oh you look like a princess," sighs mom.

"She looks like the tooth fairy," Laurel says, eyebrows raised.

"Look at that detail." Susannah jumps up to Belly, grinning. "Everybody's eyes will fall out of their heads when they see our girl

"I love you so much but you are ridiculous," Laurel chuckles.

"I love you so much, and I know I'm ridiculous," Susannah laughs back.

"Or what about this one?" The sales lady says holding up her last option.

"Oh, no, no, no. That one's much too simple." Susannah shakes her head.

"But it does seem more like Belly," Laurel says finally finding one she likes for her daughter.

"Laur, trust me, these girls go all out," Susannah continues, meanwhile Belly stares at the gown in love. "Amayas turn."

Belly takes off her dress and takes my chair. There was only really one dress that I fell in love with. It had a fitted bodice with a scooped neckline, and it fit snugly against my waist and hips flaring out at my thighs. The thin simple straps ran over my shoulders, complimenting the detailing of the material.

I walked out of the dressing room, Laurel gasped and my mom began to tear up. This is the dress.