~ Fourth of July ~

The Fourth of July in Cousins is all about traditions. Susannah decks out the whole house, the dads come up for the weekend, and the boys steam clams and shoot off fireworks. All the other Fourth of Julys, it's just been me and Shayla, tagging along. But this year, I have friends. I have plans. 

"Can I finish your milk?" Jere asks as Belly passes him her bowl for him to drink.

"Yo, I'm going to wash the clams, did you get the lighter fluid?" Conrad asks Jere as he walks through the kitchen.

"Yeah, it's already on the beach."

"Are we done with the portrait for today?" Steven asks Susannah as they pass Conrad.

"Yes, but you do look good in a dress shirt, Steven," She responds, "Which makes me think if Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam to that ball, you should take her."

"Ew. No way." Belly shuts the idea down straight away.

"No, no, no, I'm actually already going to the ball with someone." Steven winks at me, in response I roll my eyes. I can't believe I agreed to his whole scheme last night, it is never going to work. I must have been really tired.

Jeremiah, Belly and Mom freeze and stare at him.

"With who?" Susannah and Belly ask at the same time Jere says, "Bro, I told you not to get roped in."

"I'm going with Amaya," shrugging his shoulders. Three unblinking pairs of eyes turn to me.

"I said I'd find my own escort." I shrug, copying Steven.

"What's going on in here?" Laurel stares at us, walking in.

"Steven is Amaya's escort." Susannah grins, not able to contain her smile.

"To the debutante ball?" She asks, confused.

"Yes, what other ball, Mom?" Steven walks over to me, handing me a cup of coffee.

"As her escort?" Laurel raises an eyebrow, still not wrapping her head around the concept.

"Well actually," He pauses, "as her date." He kisses me on the cheek and walks out of the room.

Now four pairs of eyes, meet my shocked ones as my cheeks flush red. I excuse myself and follow him.

"What the hell was that?" I catch him in the living room, whispering, even though I know they can't hear us.

"I had to make it believable, my mom was onto us." He whisper shouts back.

I stay sat in the living room, on my phone as I overhear Mom say that Belly's and Steven's dad and his new girlfriend were staying here and my dad couldn't make it. Some sort of business deal he needed to close. What. A. Shame.