Politics and Betrayal

1258,

Spreading a map on the wooden table, the general pointed out to a dark spot on the map.

'That's where the Mongol camp lies, here in Jindo.'

'My spy has returned from the Mongol camp and has some news.' Said Jeong.

Bae Jungson nodded his approval and a thin man in furry Mongol attire stood before them. He bowed to the general and said, 'Many Goryeo women are slaves within the Mongol encampment.'

'What about the men?' Asked Jungson.

'The men and children are thrown into forced labour camps and are given jobs to forge weapons, till the fields or fish.'

Bae Jungson appeared thoughtful and then shot a glance at Tong Jeong and Si Ah asking, 'Any plans?'

For a moment, there was silence until Jeong said, 'We split the army into two and launch a stealth attack at night.'

'Kim daejang (captain), must I remind you that we just have 1,000 men with us.' Reminded Bae Jungson with a firm voice.

'500 will be more than enough for me.' Reassured Tong Jeong.

'Daejang-nim,' began the spy, 'the entrance of the encampment is manned heavily. Guards are posted on elevated wooden towers.'

'And the posterior?'

'It's guarded.'

Once more, an awkward silence descended in the main pavilion. The seated general rose from his chair and exhaled sharply trying to acess the win to lose ratio.

'By number...we are less than them. Far less.' Added the spy.

'Let's try to negotiate with them first.' Suggested Bae Jungson. 'We can't allow anything to happen to the hostages.'

'Janggun!' Exclaimed a horrified Si Ah. 'On what basis are we going to negotiate? We have nothing to offer the Mongols. I support Kim daejang's idea.'

'Yun byeongjang, are you going to take responsibility for any hostage situation that occurs?'

Sergeant Yun Si Ah looked away. He couldn't take responsibility if something went wrong. He was still a sergeant and had a long way to go to reach the top.

'I'll take responsibility.' Assured Captian Kim. 'I'll await your orders till evening. If there aren't any, I'll proceed.'

With that, he gave a curt bow and marched out of the tent. The general groaned and pressed his temples, squeezing his eyes shut.

Opening them, he looked at Si Ah asking, 'What about you Yun byeongjang?'

'I apologise,' he began, 'but Kim daejang-nim is right. If we don't salvage the situation soon, we might lose more hostages.'

With a curt bow, he too left the pavilion.