Alliances

'The groom has arrived!' Exclaimed one of the servants.

Hurriedly Yun Chin Hae and Yun Ah Soon went to the main gate to welcome the groom who had arrived with all the music and great pomp.

Getting off his horse, he took the pair of wooden geese called kirogi which were neatly wrapped with blue silk and presented it to the bride's mother. It was a symbol of good luck of Yin and Yang energies.

Bowing to the parents, the groom then stood to the east side, in front of the wedding table.

The wooden table was covered in silk of blue and red. On it was set, two wooden glasses of rice wine, two candles in delicate holders and a conical structure of light peach coloured bae (Korean pears)

Family and friends began flooding into the courtyard with chatter, excitement and bundles of gifts wrapped in blue and red silk.

Yoojung sat in her chamber waiting to be called upon. Just then, Ahnjong entered and ushered her out.

The hwalot consisted of several layers of clothing making it slightly heavy. The hwalot was stained a deep red symbolising fire. The white symbolised metal, blue symbolised wood, black for water and the mild yellow bands symbolised the earth.

 The white symbolised metal, blue symbolised wood, black for water and the mild yellow bands symbolised the earth

It was the perfect balance of Yin and Yang.

Walking towards the table, she stood to the west. That was the first time she was seeing the groom.

Ahnjong stood aside and noticed Wang Geo. 'Oh, wangja-nim?'

He smiled at her, with a slight bow.

'I didn't know you had been invited.' She began.

'Of course I was,' he shrugged, 'by Yun daegam.'

Ahnjong nodded and went towards her sister along with another family member who'd assist the bride to bow.

With hands raised to her face, the large sleeves covered Yoojung's face. With the help of the assistants she bowed twice to the groom.

The groom bowed once and then the cup of rice wine was shared.

Kim Jun stood in a corner clearly appearing displeased for some reason. Walking over to Yun Chin Hae, he whispered something and the two men quickly exited the courtyard and entered Chin Hae's chamber.

Noticing something suspicious, Si Ah discreetly followed them and stood silently in the corridor, eavesdropping on their conversation.

'Yangban paying taxes is impossible. I was informed that this was your idea Yun daegam.' Began Kim Jun in a rather gruff and authoritative voice.

'Apparently so,' replied the minister of taxation without a flicker of hesitation, 'the treasury is drying up and the ceasefire with Yuan dynasty was suggested by you. What better way to repay Goryeo than paying taxes!'