Turned backs

Although King Gojong had hardly recovered, he had no choice but to get back on his feeble feet and address the protests that were going on for weeks.

'Pyeha, if we do not comply with the Mongols, Goryeo will be in further chaos.' Said one of the ministers.

The king sighed, there was nothing he could do to prevent this nor save his son from being a hostage in the Mongol court.

Standing up from the throne which shone elegantly with its gold and red hue, he said, 'For the peace and prosperity in Goryeo, wangtaeja Wang Jeon will be sent to Mongol along with tribute of silks, slaves and gold.'

'SEONEUN-I MANGGEUKHAOMNIDA PYEHA.'

Bowed the officials with one voice. One by one, the ministers exited the court leaving the king, the crown prince, Yun Chin Hae, Kim Tong Jeong and Bae Jungson in court.

Gojong stumbled down the pulpit and, fell on the floor on his crippling painful knees.

His wrinkled eyes were blur with tears.

Immediately, all of them fell to their knees pleading, 'Pyeha, the king of Goryeo must show no weakness.'

But the king didn't heed them. He turned to Yun Chin Hae pleading, 'I hope you haven't sold yourself to Kim Jun.'

The minister of taxation simply lowered his gaze to the floor. His heart pierced deeply at the king's state.

Whether it was Choi Ui or Kim Jun, my family is threatened. Who'd think beyond a family and look for a country when ones one family is a constant target of political turmoil? Wondered Yun Chin Hae. But he only felt like he was giving an excuse for his incompetence. To protect my family, I need power. Without it, I would end up being a pendulum between shifting powers.

The old king then looked at Bae Jungson asking, 'Has the army general too sold himself?'

'Sunghaomnida pyeha,' he apologized, 'I have no excuse to give.' One can only throw away their life when they have nothing to protect.

Turning towards the captain, Gojong said, 'And you too have no excuse to give either.'

Jeong lowered his head without a word. Sunghaomnida pyeha, but sometimes one must do what they despise.

Gojong looked at the crown prince saying, 'For Goryeo's welfare and safety; you should go to Mongol.'

Wang Jeon bowed his head to acknowledge his father's decision. But his face said otherwise. His eyes were blur with tearful rage, his jaws clenched tightly and his expressions stiff and contorted.

At the break of dawn, the crown prince began preparations for his departure to Mongol along with the envoy. The journey would be long and arduous.

Boarding a ship, which was loaded with deep brown caskets filled with tribute to the Yuan empire.

Gold, rolls of silks, high quality paper, several otters skin, jade, silver and several slaves both male and female were loaded onto the huge vessel.

The slaves were stored in the last berth. A long thick jute rope tying their feet and thinner ropes binding their hands. Men, women and children who had nothing but to sell themselves made up this sordid lot.

Kim Jun stood at the busy harbor and gently put his hand on the crown princes shoulder before he could walk the wooden gangway.

'Wangtaeja, there's nothing to worry about.' Reassured Kim Jun with a radiant face. 'Goryeo will be safe. I wish you a safe journey.'