Chapter 3

KAMMERRON ROSE MONROE'S POV

The next Monday, I got up early. Around six I think. I put on my school uniform, packed my swimming gear, and stuffed another bag with my PE gear, since we had to change. On my way out I grabbed two slices of toast that I would eat on the way. Austin was right behind me, fully dressed, eating a piece of toast. Kona was there as usual. I handed her a slice of the almost burnt bread and we caught the bus. By the time we got to school it was seven thirty. Instead of staying in the cafeteria to chat since I had free period next, I went upstairs to get my PE and math textbook. The bell rang for eight o'clock and students fled from the cafeteria. Kona held up a volleyball. I grinned and rolled my eyes. I slipped into the bathroom and changed, putting on black and neon blue workout shorts and a white tank top. My hair was already up in a high ponytail. All I needed now was a lulu lemon headband, but I wasn't going to pay fifteen or twelve dollars for a headband that probably wouldn't stay on my head. When I returned, Kona already had on shorts and a T-shirt. Both of us had on converse because we were too lazy to change our shoes. It was too early. We went outside and bumped the volleyball for the rest of free period. Down balls, spikes, serves, sets, bumbs, whatnot. Even though we were terrible at it and I had almost taken out a car's mirror, we still had a good laugh. The bell rang. We headed up to home room. After the bell rang for the end of that, we headed down to PE. According to Miss. Armel, we were going on a walk. Kona and I ran out of the classroom, before some of the others. We stayed behind in the group talking and laughing. Other girls were right beside Miss. Armel trying to convince her to do a short walk, but they were failing. There was a loud honk from a car. Half of the girls, including Miss. Armel glanced over their shoulder. Deciding it was nothing they ignored it, but I completely recognized it. It was Ashton Vacara's car.

I grabbed Kona's wrist and dragged her up the hill. She starred at me, her eyes trying to detect anything wrong.

"What's up with you? It was just a car," she raised an eyebrow.

"It's Ashton's car!" I murmured.

"What?!" Her eyes widened. "What's he doing here?" She asked.

"He convinced Briar that it would be a great idea if he picked up from school and drove me to practice," I grumbled.

"But we take the bus!" Kona protested.

"Exactly!" I pointed out.

"Hey maybe I can catch a ride with you guys," Kona grinned evilly. I grinned and shrugged my shoulders.

"It's worth a try,"

"No telling Serenity," Kona held out her hand.

"Locked shut," I took it.

At the end of school, Kona and I spotted Ashton's car. I opened the backseat door and we climbed into the car.

"So, no school today?" I asked. The surprised look on his face made me laugh. "You know, if your going to stalk someone, use a car they don't recognize next time," I added.

"Kadence, are you going to introduce me to your friend?" Ashton asked smiling.

"Ashton, this is-"

"Guess," Kona cut me off. Ashton whistled.

"Oookay...and-"

"If you guess right, you get to go on a date with Kadence," Kona interrupted him. He smiled and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Um...excuse me?! I did not agree to this!" I glared at her.

"Relax, he'll never guess right. Three chances, starting right now," Kona smiled. I groaned and my head face palmed.

"Kaelyn, spelled K-A-E-L-Y-N, but Kadence calls you Kona K-O-N-A," Ashton replied. Kona's eyes widened. I snapped my head to face her and glared at her. Kona made a hissing sound and backed away from Ashton.

"Very creepy stalker boy. Very," she murmured.

" 'Relax! He'll never guess right!' I mimicked her. "You were saying, Kona!" I snapped. she just pointed to Ashton.

"He'd be perfect for Starbucks!" She tried to change the subject.

"So, Kadence, I'll pick you up at eight on Saturday night," Ashton was grinning like a mad man. Kona what have you done?!

"You can pick up Kona," I remarked. Kona made a weird screechy noise in her throat that sounded like a scream.

"I said-"

"Kadence, K-A-D-E-N-C-E, or KAMMERRON ROSE, K-A-M-M-E-R-R-O-N space R-O-S-E," Ashton cut her off.

"STOP THAT!"

"stop, S-"

"Ashton, I swear to god, I will stab you with your lacrosse stick if you don't shut up!" I warned. He didn't say anything.

"I still said Kadence," Kona piped up.

"Shut up!" I shrieked.

"Kadence! A deal's a deal, now cry me a river, build yourself a bridge, and for the love of God get over it! It's just a date. You and me! That's it. Just think of it as two friends having dinner together!" Ashton sighed. I starred at him.

"That's not how you're thinking of it," I murmured.

"Jesus Christ! What are you so afraid of?" Ashton murmured. I glanced up at the mirror to meet his eyes, but quickly turned my attention to the window and just starred out of it.

"Of falling in love to only get my heart broken. Of going insane. Of getting my heart shattered so horribly, that I could never pick up the peices to know how to actually fall in love again. Of being finally broken. Of knowing what's coming and still be played. Of being outsmarted. Of falling in love with a heart breaker," I whispered softly. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ashton open his mouth to say something, but closed it.

"So, you're afraid of trusting me," Ashton summed it up.

"Stupid? I know," I muttered.

"It's not stupid. It's smart," Ashton whispered softly. I glanced up at him through the mirror. Kona had stopped paying attention and had her nose in a book. I sighed and took a deep breath, not believing I was going to say this.