Chapter 6

ASHTON VACARA'S POV
What I had said about Candice Moraga was true. In fact, it would have been five weeks if she didn't drink. Drinking was a habit I had never liked. When she did, she got annoying and wasn't all that fun because she was throw tantrums and get angry. After four weeks I dumped her and earned the title heartbreaker. So from then on every time I tried to date a girl, I thought they were going to turn out like Candice, so I dumped them.
When I picked them up, Kona and Kadence were arguing.
"Why not Kadence?!" Kona raised an eyebrow.
"She abandoned me and Austin, Kona! Why would I want to go see her?!" Kadence growled.
"She's your mother!"
"She left us! She left a newborn and a three-year-old! When I was only three years old! We were lucky we found Briar after three months!"
"Maybe she wants to apologize,"
"She can't erase what she did,"
"Kadence, I know it's a lot, but just try it out," Kona replied putting her hand on Kadence's shoulder.
"So, how's everything?" I asked.
"Even if I do go, which I'm NOT, don't mention this to Austin. He'll feel like I betrayed him and possibly hate me forever, but anyway, Ashton if you are dying to know, my mother sent me a letter saying that she wants me to come and have dinner with her in Friday night," Kadence grumbled.
"It's just one night," I pointed out.
"Yeah, but she's probably got a whole new family now," Kadence murmured.
"I'll drive you over there. If you call, I'll be right outside the house," I promised. Kona snorted. I glanced back her. She rolled her eyes at me.
"Sure, Ashton. Yeah, I'd don't think so. I will," Kona laughed. I narrowed and rolled my eyes at her.
"How about we both drive her there and wait for her?" I remarked. Kona laughed again. I didn't see what was so flipping hilarious. It wasn't even that funny.
"Fine, Romeo," Kona muttered. I laughed.
"Guys, I'm not even going," Kadence pointed out.
"It's your mother! You should go! It's just one night, Kadence," Kona replied. Kadence rolled her eyes and sulked.
"Fine!" She muttered. Kona and I gave each other a high five and laughed. Nova coughed to bring us back to attention. "But-"
"Oh, c'mon Kadence! No buts!" Kona whined. Kadence glared at her. I snorted. They both have death glares and I shut up.
"But," she waited for one of us to interrupt. When none of us did she continued. "But, I will not-"
"Your gonna wear a dress and your going to get over it," Kona interrupted, quickly.
"KONA! SHUT UP!" Kadence shouted.
"Kona, no offense, but we are forcing her to do this, she should at least get to wear what she wants," I replied. Kona raised an eyebrow at me.
"Who's side are you on?" Kona asked me.
"She has a point, who's side are you on?" Kadence asked.
"Both," I murmured. Kona threw her head back and laughed.
"You can't be on both sides! You have to be on mine or hers," Kona informed me. I shrugged.
On Friday night, I was in the car. Kona had eventually decided not to come. I heard a door close and Kadence appeared. She had dark blue jeans, a white winter coat, a pastel green, blue, and pink scarf, and short cream colored Uggs. A milk chocolate leather purse hung from her left shoulder. I could tell there was a book in there and her phone was in back pocket. She slipped into the passenger seat.
"You look...presentable," I murmured. She threw her head back and laughed. Kadence took out her phone and started text someone otherwise known as Kaelyn James. Her phone case was a picture of a herd of wild mustangs and in sketchy white print were the words: Always classy, never trashy, and just a little bit nasty (taken from The Bad Boy, Cupid, And Me by @slim_shady which by the way is one of THE BEST books you will EVER read on wattpad).
"Thanks, Ash," she smiled. Ash. She called you Ash again, a little voice said in my head and I suddenly felt butterflies in my stomach. I dropped her off at the house and parked near it. While she entered the house, I leaned back and took out my phone.
"Whatcha doing?" A voice next to me sang. I jumped so high I hit my head on the roof of my car. Kona laughed so hard she had to clutch the door to help her stay on her feet. She had on a sweat shirt with her high school's logo, dark blue jeans, milk chocolate brown boots, and a gold necklace with a white hibiscus flowed. Her black brown curled hair was in a high ponytail, unlike Kadence's which was down and also curled. Neither of them had worn makeup.
"Jeez, Kona! Don't do that!" I muttered. She threw back her head and laughed again. Kona sat down on the curb and took a book out of her black leather bag that hung from her right shoulder. After thirty minutes or more, my phone rang. I picked it up and answered it.
"Kadence?" I answered the phone.
"Hey, Ash? Are you still here?" Kadence asked. It had been obvious that she'd been crying.
"Hey, Ashton, I have to go. My mom just texted me. Bye," Kona left.
"Yeah. I'm still here. We can talk about what happened in the car," I replied in a calm voice. I heard a sniffle.
"Thanks," Her voice cracked. After five minutes she slipped into the passenger seat.
"Do you want to talk about what happened?" I asked.
"They don't care about me! Even the dad, he-he forgot. They don't want me there," she sobbed into my shoulder. I put my arms around her and just let her pour out all her feelings.
What kind of parent wouldn't love Kadence? She was perfect. Straight A's. Swim team. Kind hearted. Polite. She didn't deserve any of this!
"Thanks, but I'm not perfect. My mother abandoned me for some reason that I don't know of. I'm also ADHD," she forced a smile. I blushed when I learned I said that aloud.
"Well, you're perfect to me," I replied smiling. Her forced smile became a real one.