Chapter 17 & 18 (Matteo)

Matteo

CHAPTER 17

Palermo, Sicily, Italy – May 28th, 2020

When they were forced to move back home to Italy because of a global pandemic, Matteo didn't think about the fact that he would be spending more time with his father, which meant that he could see first-hand how much work Matteo was putting into his studies.

His father kept asking about exam dates and upcoming projects, and it all came down to Organizational Psychology, which was the only course where he didn't have someone who could help him pass.

Well, he knew he had Valentina. And he realized that begging her to come would be his last resort.

During the early hours of Thursday, May 28th, a private jet departed from their landing strip outside Palermo and set off towards Moscow, where it would pick up Valentina at 8am. By the time Matteo wakes up at 12:30pm, Valentina has already texted him that she'll be landing in 30 minutes.

He gets into the shower quickly and lets his siblings know that Valentina's coming over to take the exam. Their parents have been out since yesterday and Matteo has no idea when they'll return. At least there's a little peace and quiet in the house, save for the chef and the maid during the day, who barely ever make themselves known anyway.

A black SUV pulls up in the driveway in front of the house and Matteo watches Valentina climb out, carrying two bags. She says something to the driver before walking up the pathway leading to the main door.

Soon enough, the doorbell rings throughout the house.

"We have to write an essay?" Matteo groans twenty minutes into the exam after copying all multiple-choice answers from Valentina. He decided to take the desk because Valentina insisted on sitting on the couch by the window with the sea view.

"It's not that complicated." Valentina reasons, leaning back into the cushions. "Just write what you think creates the most efficient work environment. You're the one who runs a club, you should know this."

Matteo thinks about the people who work at the club.

"So...money then." He concludes.

She scrunches her nose.

"What? Is there something else that can make people want to work?"

She crosses her arms over her chest and leans back into the cushions. "Yes."

"What?"

"Purpose."

"Purpose." He repeats.

"What else?"

"Money."

"Is that why so many people are unhappy with their jobs? Someone who works because they like what they do delivers better results." She argues. "If money were the answer, there wouldn't be any unhappy workers."

"We're talking about work efficiency. Not life satisfaction."

"Someone who doesn't like the work performs worse than someone who does."

"That means they aren't getting paid enough. People will do anything for the right amount of money."

She decides to give up on the conversation and focuses back on her screen.

Matteo argues his point of view in writing, and the word count is reached fifteen minutes later.

"There, it's done." He says, turning back to look at her.

Valentina nods but doesn't look away from her screen, still typing.

Matteo looks out at the Tyrrhenian Sea shining in the sun behind her and thinks about how he's never had a girl in his bedroom just sitting on her laptop. It feels strange but comfortable at the same time.