Chapter 33 & 34 (Matteo) - END OF ROUND 1

Matteo

Chapter 33

Capo d'Orlando, Sicily – July 22nd

As soon as Vinnie and the rest of Valentina's guests arrive, the atmosphere around Matteo changes. He's not as relaxed anymore, and he feels like he has to take care of five things at once before he can actually enjoy himself.

First, there's Ariana, who has been texting him more than usual since he woke up this morning. Then there's Vinnie, who keeps asking him if he's okay and if he's having fun, which forces Matteo to smile and assure him that he's okay.

The third reason is the photo he saw in Valentina's brother's room, which he now knows he's seen before. In Aurora's room, above her desk.

Valentina is also somewhere in the mix because he's fully aware of her presence now. He knows where she is at all times without even having to look, his consciousness unwillingly shifting to wherever she is.

Ariana is telling him something about her life in the past two days, but all Matteo can focus on now is that Isabella and Valentina are talking about him.

"I'll be right back." He says to Ariana before walking over to the two of them.

"What are you gossiping about now?"

Isabella motions towards where he just came from in response.

Matteo doesn't look back to where Ariana is surely watching him. "What about her?"

"What's the deal?"

Matteo shrugs, unwillingly looking at Valentina. She's already looking at him, watching to see how he reacts.

"I don't know? She's...nice."

"Alright."

"Why do you even care?"

"Because I can't go through Allison 2.0."

"It's not like-"

"Yes, it's exactly like that. You had sex first before even getting to really know her and she's easy to talk to, and now she's all you know."

Matteo instantly knows that Valentina realizes omitted telling her about Ariana. ­Her face doesn't betray her though, not even as Vinnie calls him over.

Ariana tells him to come upstairs at some point, and he's way too high and horny to turn her down. It lasts less than last time on his birthday, and this time they get dressed afterwards. She stayed the night a few weeks ago, but the vibe is different now.

Matteo knows that there's cocaine in the desk drawer but he's not in the mood to go through it with Ariana right now.

"I'm ready." She says eventually, after fixing her hair in the mirror for the third time.

He follows her out of the room.

He sees Valentina before she sees him as she's coming up the stairs.

"What's up?"

His eyes go to Ariana, and he feels like he's just been caught doing something he shouldn't have done.

"I'm going for a smoke." Ariana huffs at him and walks past her to the stairs, obviously ignoring her.

They're alone for the first time since her birthday party started.

"Do you want a line?" He blurts out.

"Do you have?"

"Yes, Vinnie brought it."

"Sure."

They walk into Adrik's room, and she sits down on the bed while Matteo takes care of the rest. The air in the room feels uncomfortable, and she doesn't look like she's having fun. She doesn't even look like she's here right now.