Chapter 19 & 20 (Valentina)

Valentina

Chapter 19

Palermo, Sicily, Italy – May 29th, 2020

I wake up in an unfamiliar room with a dry mouth, feeling completely disoriented. It takes me a few seconds to realize that the cream-colored ceiling and the matching drapes don't belong to my bedroom in Russia.

Fragments of my dream come back to me as soon as I completely wake up. I try to shake them off, bury them somewhere deep in my brain where I'll never find them again. It's a new day, but the view I have of the trees doesn't look like rainy Russia.

Then I remember that I'm in Sicily, sleeping in a guest room at Matteo's house. I sit up and groan, rubbing my eyes and running my hands through my hair. I can still taste the wine from last night.

My mom wasn't too happy about me being in Italy during a world-wide crisis, but getting out of the house after two months feels good. My dad didn't even read the messages I sent in the group yesterday.

"Shiiiit

"Shiiiit." I say under my breath as I read the message she sent last night. While I was on the balcony. Smoking with her crush. I didn't even think of telling her about it. How does she even know?

I check Instagram as I get out of bed and pull the curtains to the side so I can open the window. The sun blinds me from the left but I love it, and for a moment I forget about Raisa.

I groan and set the phone down

I groan and set the phone down. I need to brush my teeth and wash my face first before I can deal with unnecessary drama.

There's a voice message from Raisa waiting in my notifications bar while I change into a pair of black shorts and a white shirt. I play her voice memo, finally, as I try to put my hair up in a ponytail. No one warned me it would be 27 degrees in Italy, yet here we are.

"I saw on Isabella's story that you're in Palermo, she posted you and Matteo in the fountain...anyway, how come you're there? I would've loved to come with. When are you coming back? Are you back already? Miss you!"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes at myself in the mirror. She's never said 'miss you' to me once in her life.

Coffee.