Chapter 23 & 24 (Valentina)

Valentina

Chapter 23

Somewhere on the Balearic Sea, Spain – spring/summer 2020

Saturday 01:15am

The first thing Isabella and I did as soon as we saw the open bar was get two gin and tonics. We sat down on two of the lounge chairs on the lower deck. They were facing the sea we're leaving behind, so we watched the sun setting over the horizon.

We didn't realize how long we had been talking until they announced the cake.

By the time we're at our fourth G&Ts, it's already dark.

"Have you noticed that all the girls here besides the two of us are drooling over Matteo?" She asks, a mean streak in her voice.

"I have, actually."

Gossiping with Isabella is different from doing it with Raisa. With Isabella it feels as if we're discussing something; with Raisa it feels more like talking behind someone's back.

"I bet you fifty right now that as soon as Ariana comes back to Hamilton, she'll be all over him."

"Who? Vinnie or Matteo?"

"Matteo, of course. Why would you say Vinnie?"

"I don't know. I just thought she'd flirted with him before. Wasn't that why Sofia called the police at New Year's?" I ask her, remembering our conversations about their NYE party.

"Yeah, you're right. But I think she's changed her mind the since last time you saw her. Vinnie isn't even interested anyway; he's still crying about Sofia missing his birthday."

"Has she ever missed one before?"

"Not since they were fifteen, no."

"Well, six years with someone is a lot. I think he just needs time to get over her. Her not being here might be the best for everyone."

I look up at the stars that have appeared since we first sat down. I take a deep breath and the salty air tickles my nose.

"I'm tipsy." I let her know, smiling.

She throws me a smirk, but her face falls and becomes serious, looking at something to her right. I turn my head to see Allison approaching us, sporting a very fake smile.

"Have you seen Matteo?" She asks Isabella.

"No, I haven't." Isabella replies with her resting bitch face. Something about the way she's looking at Allison makes me laugh. I bite my lip when Allison throws me a piercing look.

"What's so funny to you?" Her tone is aggressive as the completely turns to face me.

"Her face." I explain, not even lying.

Allison looks me up and down before holding her head up and leaving.

"She's mean." I say, unable to hold my laughter in anymore.

"She's frustrated, is what she is."

I look on the upper deck, where Pia and a guy I've never seen before are making out against the railing.

"Do you think Pia is also frustrated?"

"What? Why would she be?"

I shrug. "I don't know. I feel like every time we interact there's a...vibe. Like apathy, towards me."

Isabella frowns for a second, thinking about it. Her features relax as realization crosses her face.

"I know which interactions you mean, from yesterday. But yeah, makes sense."