First Day Jitters | mike wheeler

>> gif credit to @/allthingsmattyhealy on tumblr <<

fandom | Stranger Things

character | Mike Wheeler

reader | no pronouns used

requested | Anonymous

warnings | none

word count | 522

keys | (Y/n) = Your name

summary | Do you think you can do a Mike wheeler x reader fluff where the reader has anxiety and Mike helps them? Thank you.

>><<

You exhaled as the daunting entrance of Hawkins High School stared back at you. It was your first day of freshman year and you could feel your heart thumping aggressively. Since Will and El had moved to California you were starting the year with two fewer friends than usual, which wasn't boding well. You began to chew on your nails, wondering how the hell you were gonna get through this.

"Hey," A gentle voice called from beside you. You turned your head to see your best friend of nine years standing next to you.

"Are you okay?" He asked, laying a hand on your shoulder. You looked at your feet and swallowed the lump in your throat.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry." You replied, your voice shaking slightly. Mike looked around at the crowds of students scattered across the campus. He patted your shoulder lightly.

"Follow me." He said. You would've asked why but he'd already started to walk away. You raised your eyebrows and speed-walked to him, falling into step beside him.

"Where are we going?" You asked. He turned a corner and sat down on a staircase. It looked like a more secluded area of the school.

"Sit down." He said as he pats the space next to him. You shrugged and did so, leaning against the brick wall.

"So what's wrong?" He asked. You sighed and leaned your head back, looking up at the sky.

"I told you, Mike, I'm fine." You replied. He shook his head.

"Come on, don't lie to me (Y/n)." Mike said as he nudged you with the toe of his shoe. You sighed and closed your eyes, squeezing them tightly.

"I-I don't know. Just like... Aren't you scared? Will and El are gone, we're starting high school, what if Dustin and Lucas and Max don't want to be friends anymore? What if... what if you don't wanna be my friend anymore..." You whispered the last part, dropping your head into your knees. You heard mike shuffle closer before he gently grabbed your hands.

"Hey, I'm never gonna stop being your friend (Y/n). Neither will El and Will, even though they're in California. And Dustin, who would he geek out about math with? Max wouldn't have anyone to battle for the top spot on the arcades with. I mean, you're the only person who holds a candle to her. And Lucas would never survive without someone to give him advice about his failing relationship. High school isn't changing anything. The party would never be the same without you." He reassured you. You looked up and sniffled, trying to wipe away your tears with your shoulders. Mike laughed and wiped them gently with his sleeve.

"Come on, we're gonna be late for class. Maybe we can even ask around and see if there's a comic book club or DnD club or something like that." He suggested with a shrug as he stood up. You stood up after him and nodded.

"Yeah, I think that'd be fun. Thanks, Mike." You replied. He flashed you a smile that made your heart skip a beat.

"Of course."