#2-Meeting the Greenes

Me, Clem and Lee started to walk out of her yard, and noticed there were two guys on the curb. Lee opened the door anyway.

Lee: Hey man!

Man1: Holy shit!

Man2: Don't eat us!

Lee: we're not gonna hurt you

Man2: Phew! For a second there I thought you and the little dudes were both gonna give you the chomp.

Lee: what are you doing?

Man2: tryna get home, this neighborhood is a disaster.

Me: My neighborhood.

The man looked down at me soberly

Lee: you seen many of those things?

Man2: It's gnarly 'round here, haven't seen this many since of em downtown Atlanta, 15 miles back. I'm Shawn. Shawn Greene.

He points at the other man

Shawn: This is Chet.

Chet: mhm.

Lee: I'm Lee, this is Clementine.

Me: I'm Y/N.

Shawn: we shouldn't be in the open like this, especially right before dark. How's about this, Lee, you help me move clear the car put of the road, and we'll take the kids there to my dad's barn?

Lee looks at us, Clem seems unsure, and I nod, he focuses on Clem, and she nods as well.

Things start to arrive, moaning horribly with sagging skin that was hanging to their muscle by a metaphorical thread.

Chet: Them monsters comin! We gotta go!

He begins to hide behind one car, and Shawn starts to push a car out of the way.

Shawn: Lee! Quick, let's go!

Lee begins to help push with Shawn, I run to them to try and help them, and Clem follows me.

We manage to get the car all the way out, just as the things start to reach us. We pile into the car, Lee chet and Shawn are In the front, me and Clem on the back

The sky quickly begins to night, and I notice how beautiful Clem looks in the blotchy long shadows of golden hour, and I feel myself blush slightly.

Me: Hey Clem?

Clem: yeah?

Me:  before I went down, I saw my parents and sister run to me, what happened.

Clem: Your sister ran too you first, but she was separated on the road by a crash, she could be alive, but I couldn't see her-

She stopped herself

Clem: are you sure you want to hear this?

I hesitated, and nodded

Clem: it was an explosion, she was sent flying, sh-she could have been able to survive, but I don't see it honestly.

My face fell, and I exhaled deeply.

Clem: should I stop?

Me: sorry. Sure. It's just so fucking crazy that the world can go from normal to something like a nightmare.

Clem: Yeah. It's just so sad, my future is just completely fucking  bleak if things still go as they are, ya know?

Me: yeah. Can you tell me one thing though, are my parents alive? If they aren't, I don't wanna know how.