III.

beyoncé giselle.
september 4th.
nyc.

I almost spit out my mimosa laughing as Kelly hurried back over to our table. When she sat, the three of us huddled around laughing.

Being outside the office and seeing my boss, on my birthday nonetheless was exciting. I was too tipsy not to play around a little bit. There was nothing she could do to me.

I had never been afraid of her. It was extremely hard to be afraid of someone that I had to look down to speak to.

I watched my co-workers bow down in fear to that tiny woman, be so scared that they almost peed themselves. My parents and every other figure in my life had told me and shown me to never be afraid of anyone that bled like me. To see my co-workers do the exact opposite was shocking to me.

"I can see why none of y'all like her," Kelly wiped her eyes, laughing still.

"She pays good."

"That's not what I said. The bitch pays so good y'all won't leave. Y'all getting paid to play with the devil."

"Doesn't everybody though?"

"Don't defend her now," Michelle looked up and we followed, watching Ms. Maraj and the older woman behind her walk away.

"Ass is crazy though," Kelly whistled low, but Ms. Maraj had ears like a dog. Her head swiveled back a bit, but she didn't look back fully.

"Humongous," Michelle looked too hard.

"Y'all are grown ass women. Stop."

"You can't and you won't tell me that you don't look when you're at work. I bet that walk is stank when she's mad too."

"That lady is always mad."

"Even better," Kelly watched her until she walked out of the restaurant. Ms. Maraj knew she was watching. She looked back and we all turned our heads fast.

I shook my head. I didn't really look at my boss like that, but I also wasn't blind. She was stacked in every sense of the word. Still, there was no amount of ass or breasts that made that attitude attractive. She was gorgeous and miserable. My best friends were only so attracted because they didn't spend five days a week with that woman.

My phone dinged with a notification. I took it out of Kelly's pocket and overviewed the message my boss had sent. She wanted changes. I sighed. I couldn't even enjoy my birthday.

She wanted every single outfit I had carefully designed, changed to Chanel. The outfits that I had handpicked, did my heavy research on, went to the depths of my connections for were all going down the drain.

I was definitely sober now, my mind working overtime thinking of Chanel pieces that would look good on her, go well with her skin, and now, match with Emilio and Anna.

I stood up, now irritated and ready to leave. Kelly and Michelle looked up at me.

"What's up?"

"I have work to do."

"Hell no. It's your damn birthday. Fuck that midget."