CHAPTER 13: Rise of Leviathan

The plan was to gather more intel on Leviathan's plan, hack the files from the computer room and continue the investigation back in Gotham, but everything changed the moment Bruce heard Nyssa mentioning his son.

His heart was still pounding, and he felt as if he was starting to be out of breath as his mind brought him back to the time in Ethiopia when Jason went to the abandoned warehouse and was trapped by the Joker. He lost one son already all because his orders were disobeyed, and the same thing could potentially happen to his youngest; Bruce had a feeling that Damian snuck out again, which was how he got caught by Leviathan.

He didn't know what exactly Nyssa wanted to do with Damian, but one thing was certain; his son's life was in danger, and he was not even there to protect him. It was all his fault and he failed as a father. Again. No, he needed to stop thinking that way, he could dwell on his self-pity and blame himself later. Damian was going to be ok, and Bruce would not allow anyone to hurt his family.

He knew the al Ghuls were not to be underestimated. Though not much was said about Nyssa, Bruce knew she was the daughter of Amina Raatko, a concubine of Ra's, who was abandoned shortly after their daughter was born. Alike the oldest brother, Dusan Al Ghul, Nyssa was also casted away from the family and completely forgotten. Talia never mentioned her older sister, but Bruce remembered seeing Nyssa's closed off face from a distance when he was getting 'married' to Talia against his will in one of Ra's odd ceremonies. It was a strange series of events since then because one moment Talia told him she was pregnant and that she was thrilled with the idea of raising the new 'Alexander', which was concerning, and the next she was bleeding, crying uncontrollably as she lied over having a miscarriage.

He remembered Talia pushing him away and completely distancing herself from him for several years, but he should've known better. He never forgave himself for not knowing that Ra's and Talia not only brought Jason back to life and trained him in the League, but they were also raising Damian in secret all those years. The mere thought of that was infuriating, he would never let his guard down and come close to trusting anyone of the al Ghul family ever again. He could never see Talia with the same eyes after all the things Damian had to go through in his childhood, but that was beside the point. Bruce now needed to learn Nyssa's motivations and how he was going to stop her.

The room they were in was still completely dark, except for the bright light coming from the computer screen that was flooding Nyssa's face, making her look ghostly, almost. Batman remained in hiding, taking advantage of all the darkness surrounding him. He listened closely as Nyssa turned to the man standing next to her, who Batman assumed to be 'Fatherless'.

"You want to know something, Heretic?" Nyssa asked, while caressing Fatherless' jaw.

She stepped away from the computer, her face was no longer near the blue screen. It was hard to see what she was doing, but it looked like she was reaching for something from her pocket. Batman crouched a little and stayed in a defensive stance.

"There is nothing that irritates me more than being constantly stalked on!" Her loud voiced echoed the room as she turned around right where Batman was standing and threw a knife at him. Batman quickly got out of the way, watching the knife swaying back and forth as it hit the wall instead.

"Heretic, be a good boy and go turn on the lights for our guest. It'd be rude to chat in the dark." She ordered, Heretic followed the command and turned on the lights, revealing a very small room with nothing inside, except for a wooden desk, an office chair, and a large computer.

Batman no longer had the shadows to hide, but he didn't care. He straightened up his posture and looked Nyssa right in the eyes.

But it was Nyssa who spoke first, shaking her head slowly with a fake smile on her face. "You just don't know when to quit, do you?"