CHAPTER 16: Fear State

"The alert signal!"

It had been hours since Damian last heard from his father. His mind went racing, thinking of all the possible scenarios his father could have found himself in. Father obviously knew how to take care of himself, but for him to ask for help by pressing the alert signal meant things were bad. Damian could feel the unwelcomed anxiety creeping in his whole body. His green eyes were fixated on the computer screen as if his life depended on it, he hadn't eaten or taken a break for one second. Even Pennyworth looked more apprehensive than usual, moving closer to the screen once the alarm went on. There was concern written all over his face.

"The signal is coming from his watch..." Pennyworth observed. "The only time Master Bruce activates that alert signal is when he is not wearing the Batman suit."

Without thinking twice, Damian hurriedly got out of his chair and headed towards the Batmobile.

"Where do you think you're going, Master Damian?"

"I'm going to help my father, obviously."

Damian turned around and noticed his butler giving such a reproachful look to him that he assumed that was where his father got his famous Bat-glares from. It didn't intimidate him whatsoever, but for some reason he still felt a need to explain himself.

"What? Father needs help, Pennyworth! I refuse to sit here and watch, he could be dying for all we know!" Pennyworth was standing still, it was hard to read him. "Father never activates the alarm unless he is in serious danger, you know how prideful he can be."

Alfred studied the boy's eyes for a moment, thoughtful. Damian indeed reminded him so much of Master Bruce; always insufferably stubborn, yet so determined to make a difference even when his life was at risk. Damian was still not allowed to leave due to the bounty on his head, but at least him going out as himself and not Robin was slightly safer overall; the normal Gotham crooks had no idea who Robin was.

"Hm... Very well." Pennyworth finally said, which made Damian smile, satisfied with the butler's approval. "But I'm coming with you." The smile quickly vanished, turning into a frown instead.

"What?" Alfred could hear the boy's indignation echoing through the cave, but he simply ignored him and walked towards one of Bruce's luxurious sports cars.

"It is best to use a civilian vehicle since Master Bruce is the one calling for help, not Batman."

Damian stared at his butler, dumbfounded. Pennyworth going with him was definitely not part of the plan. There was no time to waste, however, so he ran to the Lamborghini. Pennyworth made a good point by not taking the Batmobile, and since there was no need to go as Robin, Damian was able to leave right away, only stopping to grab his utility belt so he would be prepared this time.

"Fine, but I'm driving!"

"Not this time, young sir." Pennyworth responded with a smile, already seated in the driver seat. Damian rushed to the passenger's seat, upset for his obvious defeat.

Pennyworth turned the ignition key and started the car. The Lamborghini was immaculate inside and out with beautiful black leather seats, modern aesthetics and a large digital panel with the GPS already plugged in. The car drove beautifully, the speed was amazing, but o f course Pennyworth was the one driving. Damian sat there observing the details from the inside, watching the roads. That car was capable of going so fast, yet Pennyworth was driving so much slower. Did he not understand how high the stakes were? And why was Pennyworth so calm and collective about Father being in danger? Things were not okay, Father never asked for help. Or was Damian just overreacting? Why was he getting so anxious again?