CHAPTER 15: Leviathan Strikes

****Author's notes: ***

Hi everyone!! This fic will be coming to an end soon. Comments are greatly appreciated, you have no idea how much they brighten my whole day!!

12 Years Ago

Nyssa couldn't be happier; she honored her father by marrying an admirable captain of the League of Assassins, Lieutenant Arketov, a man whom she actually loved. He was well respected and extremely skilled, everyone in the league looked up to him and followed his commands as he led them on countless missions, being always successful in his works.

Except for one time.

It was a slip up. The mission was to assassinate a Pakistani politician without being caught by anyone. He fulfilled the objective effortlessly, but as he was about to depart, a couple of politician activists saw him. Arketov confided his unforgivable mistake to his wife only, who assured in return that nothing would happen to him and that her father would never know of the occurrence.

But nothing ever escaped the Demon's knowledge. One of the activists was able to take a picture of Arketov and was about to release it to the press, but Ra's already knew about the photograph and went to take care of the matter. Nyssa never discovered if her father ended up killing the prying activists or not, but she didn't care, she was more concerned for her dear husband, they both knew that he was going to suffer from a disciplinary action. What comforted her was the fact that other leaguers had committed worse mistakes in the past and were still allowed to live, there was no way that her lover's punishment would be that severe, given that he was one of the best fighters there was.

Even with reassuring thoughts, there was something about that day that made Nyssa extremely nauseous still. She kept feeling sick to her stomach, wanting to vomit frequently, which didn't make much sense. She assumed it was just her anxious thoughts disturbing her peace, but that wasn't the first time she felt that way, it had already been two weeks straight since she felt strangely nauseated with the constant urge to puke, amongst other strange symptoms.

Her husband remained distracted the whole day, distraught by the thought of his master being extremely displeased with him; it was only a matter of time until Ra's returned. As he waited, Nyssa decided to go see a medical doctor in the League. Normally she would swallow the pain, she knew full well how to hide her emotions, but her pertinent symptoms were starting to worry her; they were oddly similar to what Talia felt weeks ago when she was still married to that useless detective of hers. Ra's was not around, so Nyssa went in to get her vitals and blood checked.

Nyssa remembered the look of shock her doctor had as he checked the results, which was when it was revealed to her: she was pregnant. Nyssa could feel the stabbing pain of panic squeezing her chest, she could barely breathe. After the doctor left her alone in the room, she broke into tears. A part of her was happy, of course, but she was also terrified. She thought she would never be able to have children again after everything she went through, especially after being resurrected through the Pit for so many years, yet there she was, about to have her last chance of having a lineage again. Her last descendant had died in an explosion years ago, and since then, Nyssa swore she would never allow herself to get attached to anyone ever again, but she ended up falling in love, and life granted her one last chance to witness a miracle.

Nyssa would never guess that she would be pregnant the same time as her younger sister, who was being pampered by the doctors and treated like a queen, which was infuriating, but she would worry about that another time. She needed to bear the wonderful news to her husband, tell him he would become a father for the first time in his life. She ran looking for him but stumbled across a bunch of Leaguers dressed in cloaks, surrounded in a circle. Her heart started pounding fast, a ritual awfully familiar to her was taking place. Nyssa hoped with all her might that someone else was in the circle, she tried looking over the crowd and was able to identify her father standing, arms behind his back, facing someone else... It was none other than her husband.