Chapter 35: "Forgiven"

Rob POV

SMUT WARNING

"Rob, I don't want to be meddlesome, but what going on with you and Kyle?" one of the warriors asks.

I have just brought back my unit from the patrol, and we are currently getting dressed. I can't fail to notice that almost everybody around, and many patrol groups have just returned, is listening. I look at my colleague who asked that question; he is from the second territory, just like me.

"Why are you asking me that?" I say.

"Don't know, man. I guess I'm worried. You weren't well after Renan and seeing you with Kyle. .. You didn't want to leave his bedside the whole day after yesterday's fight with Nightingale. Plus, one of the omegas said that you moved into his room. And I remember how.. how..."

"How I used to say that he was a lying slut?" I finish his sentence in a bitter voice as he nods.

I sigh. I shouldn't be surprised by their curiosity; the tension is evident. The wolves from the second territory don't understand what could possibly happen, and the wolves from the first territory are curious cause Kyle is one of them and the Alpha's brother.

"We are mates," I say, and literally everybody, who is listening, gasps.

"You have some kind of problem?" I ask, getting a little angry.

"No, it's just. Shit, man, it must be tough for both of you. Considering what happened with Renan and..."

"My brother and the rest were guilty," I say." I was a complete jerk to Kyle at the beginning, but I will make it right."

One of the warriors, till now quiet, says:

"Hank said they were guilty, and we all know that our Beta doesn't lie, no matter what. But are you sure you can handle that? His trauma, your parents' grief, plus there is his kid?"

"Carson is my pup," I say in a stern voice. "And my parents will have to make peace with the truth, as I had to."

I don't wait for any more questions and pity looks and go to the packhouse. My mating is my problem alone, but they were right about one thing. It's high time for me to tell my parents and... I feel somebody's hand on my arm and turn around to see Lionel.

"Why you didn't say anything earlier?" he says, making me wonder why he seems so nervous.

"It wasn't your business. But, seriously, Lionel, what do you want?"

"I know you want to believe your mate, but I don't. Renan was my best friend, and whatever happened, it wasn't his fault," he says through clenched teeth.

I growl; I wouldn't say I like his attitude.

"Listen, Lionel; I don't care what you believe or not!" I grab him by his collar. "You will not badmouth my mate!"

I push him away and leave; I don't want to talk with him. Not right now, not ever.

As I enter the room, I now share with Kyle, even though I still sleep on the floor, I see him sitting in the armchair, lost in thoughts. His bitten hand is still painful, but fortunately,  nothing serious happened to him during the fight.

"Where is Carson?" I ask.

"James and Jason, along with Rosie and Kathy, decided today that my son is so sweet that they want to play with him. Rose and Celia are with them. And I had a long conversation with Mikkeli, Hank, and Hayden."

"About?"

"About everything I smelt during the meeting with Nightingale, about everything he had said."