Chapter Eleven

Sheridan winced when she caught sight of a glimpse of her butt in the mirror when she bent over to strap her wedge sandal. She had purchased the flowy short romper during a recent shopping trip thinking it would be good for work, but now second guessed it.

Not only was she showing a lot of leg, but it was basically backless except for the tie holding the two spaghetti straps together and she didn't even want to think about how much cleavage she was displaying thanks to the deep v-cut.

Sheridan wasn't self-conscious of her body, but she was modest. It was one of the hardest aspects of what they were doing. She hated having to use her body as a distraction. It made her feel like what her father had threatened all those years ago. A whore. Cheap and easily discarded when done.

She was contemplating changing when she heard the growl of an engine outside. Quickly, Sheridan moved to the window, pulling the sheer curtain to the side so she could peer out. A lean, expensively dressed figure placed both feet on the ground on either side of the Ducati Scrambler. The boots alone would have cost a small fortune. She ran her eyes up and over the dark designer jeans, white t-shirt and slim cut leather jacket. She knew it was Logan, just by the way he moved, but then there was his energy. The commanding air that seemed to swirl around him and demand attention.

He kicked the stand as he removed his helmet and Sheridan realized her mouth was watering. Literally watering as if she were starved.

She inhaled and the curtain dropped back, flowing into place.

She took one last glance in the mirror, skimming her hand down her side braid as she put on the bravest smile she could muster before heading out.

Payton was her main focus. Lord, how she wished she could say her only focus, but Logan was always present.

Had she ever had a reaction like this to a man? Was lust supposed to be all consuming and so controlling? She had to admit it was something more. She felt safe with him. She had never felt safe with any man. Not even Payton.

Sheridan locked the door and pulled it closed behind her as she walked out to meet the man that was becoming necessary to her.

***

She was gorgeous. He fought the urge to grab her. He wanted his hands on her, he wanted to muss up that perfectly cool facade.

Logan was just getting himself under control when Sheridan smiled. "Nice bike."

"Thanks. You like to ride?"

And he didn't give a shit that it came out as a double entendre. Especially when her entire body seemed to flush at the same thought he was having.

"Yes, I do."

A groan almost escaped before he could reign it in.

"Well, hop on." Logan handed a helmet to her as she took another step closer.

Sheridan hesitated.

"What's wrong? You're not scared are you?"

He was a hypocrite. Here he was taunting her and scared as hell about what was happening between them. The unspoken that just continued to mount. He longed to feel her against him, but at the same time worried how long he would be able to restrain himself where Sheridan Ramsey was concerned.

Logan wasn't sure he was ready for what he was feeling. He wasn't sure he would be able to walk away from her when this was all over and the thought made him feel like a lunatic. He had known her less than a week.

"No, I'm not scared. I just -" she looked down at the helmet when she couldn't finish.

"What, Sheridan?"

He noticed the movement in her neck as she swallowed. "You're a distraction to me."

"I know the feeling. It's not always a bad thing."

Sheridan shook her head, "No, it's not, but the timing is really bad."

Logan considered her and what she said. She was right. The timing was terrible. Her brother was missing, they were about to become partners in a dangerous game, and his heart ached every time he thought about her. To him that seemed the most hazardous to his health.

Logan reached to take her hand, tugging her closer to him where he still stood straddling the bike. "Sheridan, I don't know what this is. This attraction that grabs me by the throat every time I get near you, but the goal hasn't changed. Money or no, I plan to find your brother and bring him home to you."

She didn't speak. Perhaps she couldn't. Logan saw the glitter of unshed tears in her eyes. Sheridan leaned into him to press a soft kiss to his lips. Before putting on her helmet, she ran her delicate hand over the seat.

And changing the subject said, "This is the coolest leather work I've ever seen."

"It's custom."

She nodded as she slid the helmet on and buckled it.

Logan glanced over his shoulder to watch as she threw one long, smooth leg over and positioned herself behind him. "I thought we would take this to work today."

Sheridan nodded again as she scooted close enough to wrap her arms around him.

He put his own helmet back on, muttering about a damn inconvenient time.