Chapter Eighteen

Logan had the driver drop him off at the hotel where he climbed on his bike and headed out of town. He couldn't understand why Rhys would lure Sheridan away before the game was over. He stopped by his apartment on the way and grabbed his gun. Something was off.

When he arrived at Rhys's club, Bubba patted him down. It was his own stupidity not to check the satchel.

Logan was led to his cousin's office where he found Rhys sitting on the couch next to Sheridan. She didn't look happy, but she wasn't harmed either as far as he could tell.

Sheridan's eyes grew wide with relief when she saw him. He gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

Rhys stood and walked toward him. "I heard you had a productive night, cuz. Won us a lot of money."

"Where's Payton?" Logan asked.

"I was told he would be here, but he's not." Logan looked to Sheridan who spoke softly.

Rhys grinned, "As I told the lady, money first." Logan knew his cousin well. Knew when he was trying to put on a "no worries, we're all having fun" vibe.

Logan shook his head, "I don't think so. I want to see Ramsey before I hand over the money."

The smile on Rhys's face turned sinister. "You're not the one running the show."

"No, I'm not," Logan replied, not backing down, "But I am the one holding the money."

A man Logan didn't recognize entered the room and stood behind Sheridan. She didn't turn to look at him, but the way her body straightened told Logan she was aware of his presence.

"Rhys, where is Payton Ramsey?"

Logan stared at his cousin as he threw his head back and laughed. "I have no idea where that piece of shit is."

"What do you mean?" Logan asked through gritted teeth. "You made a call and had him speak to me the last time I was here."

Rhys spread his arms in an I don't know gesture. "I was looking for him too. We traced him to a pay by the hour motel but he was already gone. The only thing we found was the ID I showed you. The desk clerk said that he had met an older blonde woman and left before his hour was up."

Sheridan gasped and stood, ignoring Logan's attempt to shake her off.
"Where is my brother?" she demanded.

Rhys spared her a glance. "I told you I don't know. Perhaps he met the love of his life and ran off with her, perhaps he pissed someone else off and they killed him before I could. I don't know and frankly, I don't give a damn."

"Who was it on the phone?"

Rhys turned his attention back to Logan, "One of my men who has been searching for Ramsey. He picked up on what I was doing. It was easy enough."

Logan wanted to beat the smug look off of Rhys's face.

"I can't believe this," Sheridan said, not talking to anyone in particular.

"Let's go Sheridan," Logan said.

She started to take a step toward him but the man behind her grabbed her. She gasped in surprise and looked at Logan.

Logan shook his head when he saw the gun the man held at Sheridan's side.

"Don't be stupid, Rhys."

"You're the one who's stupid if you think for a second I'm allowing the two of you to leave here with that money. With MY money."

Logan didn't turn to look at Bubba when he laid a hand on his shoulder. The threat was there. He didn't know for sure if Bubba was armed and didn't care.