Chapter Twelve

Galinda ran up the stairs. Her grin was radiant, her face aglow with not so much the excitement of being reunited with her parents, but the thrill of nearly kissing Elphaba on the lips. Nearly. Her parents were none the wiser of course and beamed in turn, pleased to see their daughter so happy. Her father was the first to wrap his arms around her.

"Sweet pea! Welcome back!"

"It's good to see you, Popsicle."

She placed little pecks on both of his cheeks before turning around to embrace her mother.

"Mumsie."

"My Darling! At last. It's always such an awful wait between visits."

Taking a step back, Galinda straightened out her skirt and smiled at her parents.

"You both look very relaxed," she observed. "How was your trip to Ev?"

"Absolutely wonderful," gushed her Mother, but her father put his hands on his wife's shoulders and gave her a certain look.

"We should discuss this inside, shouldn't we?"

"You're right, dearest."

A beeping sound drew the family's attention towards the car.

"Oh, this is Elphaba," Galinda explained quickly, stifling a giggle as she watched the other girl open the boot and remove their luggage. "My new flatmate I told you about on the phone last night. I better go and help her."

By the time she made it to the car, Elphaba had already slung her weekender around her torso and picked up Galinda's large suitcase. Offering her what she hoped was a reassuring nod, Galinda briefly rested her hand against her upper arm before pushing past her and gathering the remaining bags. It didn't escape her notice how the colour of Elphaba's face darkened a notch in response, and how she lowered her gaze. Her delight wavered. Had she gone too far too soon?

With two bags in tow, she hurried after Elphaba to make sure they'd reach the door—and her parents—together.

"Mumsie, Popsicle," she said, slightly out of breath, "may I properly introduce Elphaba."

Setting the pink suitcase down, Elphaba freed her hand to offer it to her hosts.

"Nice to meet you, uh, Mr and Mrs Upland?"

Galinda's mother laughed.

"No need to be so formal! We are all adults here. Unless you'd prefer us to call you by your surname, Larena and Highmuster will do."

Elphaba nodded sheepishly.

"Oh, okay. Sure."

"Well, how about this," suggested Highmuster, "you two go upstairs, settle into your rooms, and in, let's say, half an hour, we meet in the library for tea?"

Galinda agreed enthusiastically.

"Perfect. Come, Elphie, I'll show you the way!"

"You warned them about the green, didn't you?" said Elphaba as they started to climb the grand staircase.

"Would you have preferred a commotion to break out upon your arrival?"

"It can be quite entertaining."

Galinda chuckled and shook her head.

"You're one of a kind.

"Oh, by the by: it's Mr Upland and Mrs Arduenna. My mum's the money. And the blood. Hell would have to freeze over before she might do as much as consider abandoning her proud family name."