Chapter Seventeen

"Good morning, Elphaba," said midwife Vittolea as she strode into the room, puffing from exertion. "Apologies for the wait, but we're terribly busy. The flu incapacitated nearly half of our more useful staff members. Unfortunately, it didn't also stop women from falling pregnant and babies from being born."

She looked up from her bag and chortled merrily at her own joke. Only at second glance did she realise that they were't alone.

"Oh, what's this? You brought a friend? Yes, emotional support might be a good idea," she said, then pursed her lips. "Even more so in your situation, I suppose."

Elphaba let it roll off her back, and Galinda, looking more confused than offended, rose to her feet in order to shake the woman's hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Galinda, Elphaba's partner."

"A birthing partner!" beamed the midwife and enthusiastically took the hand on offer. "Even better."

"Uh, no, not exactly." Blushing faintly, Galinda sat back down, crossed her legs and fiddled with the purse on her lap. "The other kind of partner, actually. Though I do hope to be there for Elphie when the time comes."

Vittolea's expression sobered somewhat as she took in the information and studied the girl before her.

"I see," she said at last, rubbed her nose and sniffed before plopping down onto her swivel chair. She picked up her clipboard.

"So. Elphaba." Her voice had turned lacklustre, making her sound more like a humanoid robot than a woman of flesh and blood. "How are you feeling? Any concerns or complaints?"

"None," Elphaba replied, automatically matching her tone.

"Eating and sleeping well?"

She remembered the previous night and how Galinda had kicked and poked her while in the throes of some dream, but that was certainly not what the question was about.

"No problems there."

"Splendid. How about baby? Are we feeling any kicks yet, or maybe a bit of a flutter?"

She paused to consider. Was she really that far along already? Truth be told, she'd noticed an odd sensation every now and then, but it had been indistinct, and she'd dismissed it as gas or indigestion.

"I don't think so," she answered slowly, still wondering which really was the correct answer.

The midwife took notes.

"Well, that's entirely normal at this stage, especially for first time mothers. By the time we meet next, you're almost certain to have noticed movement in there.

"At any rate, how about you go for the urine test, dearie, so we can proceed with the measurements?"

Elphaba couldn't have cared less about the midwife's opinion in regards to her child's parentage, her same-sex relationship, or anything else for that matter, but the careless use of pet names vexed her, especially if applied disingenuously. And still she knew better than to protest. All she had to do was get through this appointment as quickly as possible. It was a necessary evil.

So she did what she was told. Upon her return, she found Vittolea and Galinda staring at each other silently. Wondering what had transpired in her absence, she was almost tempted to say something. Almost.

"Oh, you're back," observed Vittolea. "Hop onto the scale for me then, will you? What does it say?"

"Sixty-three point nine."

"Goodness, love"—she shook her head—"almost one kg down from last time. Look at you, you're all muscle. What is baby supposed to feed off, hm?"

Feeling herself flush, Elphaba couldn't tell whether it was out of anger or embarrassment. Perhaps a blend of both. Her eyes darted towards Galinda who was scowling at the woman. When she felt Elphaba's gaze on her, she met it and smiled encouragingly.