Chapter Nineteen

Arriving at her sister's apartment, she knocked rather than rang the bell. Vaguely remembering Nessa's daily schedule, she didn't want to risk an interruption of her morning prayers and—by extension—her wrath.

She could hear shuffling from the other side of the door, then scraping at the wood. She looked up to where the peephole sat and made a silly face. Her antics were met with a muffled scoff, but the keys jangled all the same, and the lock clicked open.

"Elphaba," said Nanny, as if she hadn't already known.

"Good morning, Nanny. I just came to drop off the shampoo Nessa asked for, and the black bread, and the passionfruit yoghurt."

She passed the jute shopping bag to the older woman.

"Nanny could have taken care of that. What made you so sure I didn't already?"

"It will take Nessa a few days to properly settle in. I know you wouldn't like to leave her to her own devices in the meantime, so I came early to ensure you didn't find yourself forced to do so against your will. Or to drag her along maybe."

"I see the respite from your care duties has not led you to become ignorant of your sweet sister's needs," commented Nanny with approval. "I'm afraid she's napping right this moment and won't be able to thank you in person."

Elphaba raised her brows.

"Still in bed? Nessarose?"

"I said napping," emphasised Nanny with a chuckle. "She woke up before sunrise, of course, to apply herself to her daily devotions. But travelling so far was tiring for the poor dear, and now she requires additional rest. But do come in, my pet, I can make you a cup of coffee all the same."

Elphaba shoved her hands into her pockets and twisted her right foot on the dusty concrete floor.

"Thanks, Nanny, but no. I really only came by to deliver the goods. I have other places to be."

"Oh, but you must. We haven't seen each other in so long. You didn't know that Nessa would be asleep, so you must have factored in a few minutes to talk to her. She would't have let you go so easily. Spare some time for old Nanny instead, will you?"

Elphaba acquiesced and stepped forward to clean her boots on the doormat. She refused to remove them, however, stressing her intention to keep this visit as brief as possible.

Shaking her head, Nanny waved her spotty, wrinkled hand and sent her in the direction of the small living room. When she joined her there a little later, she carried a tray laden with two cups and a plate of pastries.

"Leftovers from breakfast," she said and pushed the entire plate in Elphaba's direction. Elphaba took a sip of her coffee, then clasped her hands in her lap.

She watched Nanny studying her. Now that they were alone, she didn't avert her gaze in shame.

"Taking after your dear mother, I see," remarked the old woman. "Well, can't say I'm entirely surprised, though I expected, or maybe just hoped you to be cleverer. Less given to passion at least."

"There was no passion involved," Elphaba replied curtly.

Nanny did a double take at that, looking back up from the cup she'd already brought to her lips. Narrowing her eyes slightly while she looked her over once more, she seemed to be trying to determine something without venturing her question. Whether she was entirely confident in her assessment in the end, Elphaba couldn't tell. She merely flared her wide nostrils, shook her head, and inhaled a big gulp of coffee before changing the topic.

"So how far along are you then, hm? When should we expect the cries of a wee Throppling to terrorise our auditory passages?"

Elphaba cast a quick glance at the door to Nessa's bedroom.