The White Angel

Byeol

*BEEP BEEP*

*BEEP BEEP*

*BEEP BE--

"Agh, turn it off!" I mumbled, half-awake, as the alarm clock started.

*BEEP BEEP*

*BEEP BEEP*

*BEEP B--

Just as I growled and opened my eyes, I heard a loud click and the beeping stopped, followed by a familiar groan.

"Ugh, what time is it...?" I shut my eyes tight in hopes to keep out the morning light and tightened my arms around the source of the voice. It felt warm. I let myself sink into the warm cloth in front of my face a bit more.... and more...

Mm, warm and fresh chocolate cookies! Ooh, they're shaped like stars!

"Byeolie?" The low voice muttered, making me wake up again. I tossed around on the bed a bit, trying to shake off the sleepiness, then slowly cracked my eyes open.

My breath stopped.

No way.

Overnight miracles don't happen.

That ring, it's—

My shoulders suddenly slumped as I realized what I was looking at. That ring was mine, not San's. I was looking at my hand, not his. We had matching Yin Yang rings; I got the dark Yin part and my brother always kept the light Yang part on his finger. Sometimes he'd forget to take it off when he went to bed, then complain about the mark it would leave.

I sneezed.

"Byeol, you have to get ready," Wooyoung's deep morning voice reminded me. I forced myself to sit up and looked around the room a bit and wiped my nose on the sleeve of San's sweater.

I coughed and cleared my throat.

"How'd we get here?" I asked, turning my head to glance at Woo. He looked at me, still lying on his back.

"Woke up at three and realized we both fell asleep after the breakdown." Wooyoung said, pulling the blanket over his head. His muffled voice continued, "Then I carried you here and returned to sleep. The wall was painful and cold." He added with a groan, and I agreed, feeling some stiffness in my back.

I glanced at the clock on the wall. I had one hour until I had to leave the house.

"Do you think I should ask about Kimmie?" I questioned thin air in front of me. It didn't respond. "Wooyoung," I called, nudging the lump of red velvet next to me. Waking up in the fall/winter times is so hard; you never want to leave the warmth of the bed or blankets and face the cold world outside.

"What?" Wooyoung lowered the tip of the blanket to look at me with one half-opened eye.

"Let's text Seonghwa? And ask how Min is doing?" I repeated. He nodded and went back to his slumber.

I got up and stretched a bit, hearing everything crack. I opened the curtains and let in the dim morning light, much to Wooyoung's whining, and walked out of the room to find my phone.

I located it by the window nook with the dried-up cups from last night. I checked my texts as I took the dirty cups and empty plate to the kitchen sink. Nothing new. I scrolled through my contacts to find Seonghwa, which I saved before leaving last night, and sent a simple hello.

Then, I went around and got myself ready for college today while waiting for a reply. Usually Wooyoung wouldn't wake up until two hours later since his shift at the coffee shop doesn't start till lunch time.