Deflection

Yunho

We were waiting outside the huge mansion as the sun slowly set behind us. Turns out one of the pairs of bluetooth earbuds that Min brought was dead anyways, so Seonghwa-Hyung was busy hooking up the other one to his phone. After he did that, he called Mingi and then put himself on mute.

"That way we can hear everything you say, but you won't hear us." He explained. Mingi put his phone in his pocket. I nodded.

"Are you guys ready?" Min asked, rubbing her hands together in the cold. I let out a sharp breath.

"Yup. Mingi?" I said, then turned to my friend. He was staring at the old warehouse on the other side of the grass, lost in thought.

I followed his gaze and saw that it was locked up, even more tattered than when we first found it.

We had good times there.

"Mingi?" I stepped closer to him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"W-What?" He snapped out of his gaze, looking at me.

"Ready?" I asked. Mingi nodded, taking one last look at the warehouse before turning to face the rest of the group. We were behind a wall facing the back of house. 

"Come on, let's go." I tilted my head towards a huge oak tree lining the wall. We just had to climb it and try our best to look sneakish once we slipped onto the backyard.

"Be careful," Seonghwa-Hyung said.

"Good luck." Byeol shot a small smile.

"Don't die!" Min chirped.

"Fighting!" Yeosang waved his fist. Mingi and I smiled back to all of them, and then I started to scale the tree. Mingi followed close behind me.

After we were high enough on the tree, I swung one foot onto the wall, shifting my weight and crouching atop the ten-foot-tall concrete fence. I looked over my shoulder to see if Mingi needed any help, but he was already next to me.

The mansion was huge. Like, really huge. The three-storey building looked as if it was fit for a king or queen on holiday at the sea shore, despite the vines and moss growing all over. I bet it held at least  fifteen different rooms.

"Woah..." Mingi gasped.

"Rich old lady, huh?" I mumbled to myself. Shaking my head, I returned to the mission. Below us was a pile of dead leaves that fell from the tree we just climbed. Hooray for autumn.

"3, 2, 1..." I whispered, nudging my partner. "Jump." 

Luckily, we didn't make too much noise. Between us and the house was a pretty big backyard that probably wasn't maintained in years. The darkening sky just made everything more creepier.

Good thing I don't get scared easily.

But Mingi next to me didn't look so good.

I sighed. We had no time for this.

"Come on," I tapped him and we both sprinted through the grass, reaching the back door in a second. Once we caught our breath, I turned the knob, just hoping...

It was unlocked!

I opened the door as slowly as I could without making any noise and peeked inside. Even though the exterior made it look haunted, the inside was extremely well-maintained. The hallway I was looking at was lined with old-fashioned fire-torches, throwing eerie shadows everywhere. 

Mingi nudged me questioningly. I nodded, then stepped in. He followed suit, and we slightly closed the door behind us. I was sure to not fully close it, though, so the next group wouldn't have to make as much noise with turning the knob.