Chapter 3

(This is what Xiao Jing wore to the selection headdress included)

Upon our arrival at the palace, it looked wide on the outside, but it is even more majestic on the inside.

'First Miss, we should be careful here, the future can be among these ladies' said, Jade.

'I know but that does not mean we will cower. All we need to do is stay on our own and smile.' I said calmly with my eyes closed.

I have seen enough Imperial Chinese shows where the fighting begins before the selection and the making of friends that will either betray you or kill/die for you. I don't want to be a part of that. Especially if I might not be chosen, simply a waste of time.

'Ladies please come out of the carts' a fine voice spoke.

Opening my eyes, I sighed coming out of the cart, placing my bent right elbow and wrist in Jade's palms. My handkerchief swaying by my left side, we walked from our carts to a side garden beside the hall where the selection is taking place.

I sat in the chair in the shade by the flowers with Jade standing behind my chair patiently waiting for my title to be called whilst listening to the chattering.

'Mèi mei, when we enter the palace don't forget me okay' one of them said in an obnoxiously high-pitched voice.

'Right' others agreed, sucking up to the higher-ranking daughter that most likely had a chance of entering the palace.

'Why would I? If you all support me in the future, that is.' She said giggling.

They all giggled behind their handkerchiefs.

Looking at Jade in the corner of my eye, she bent to my level by her waist.

'Quite presumptuous, don't you think? Already assuming her position as Empress', I whispered to Jade observing the flowers beside us.

'As long as Miss does not join nor confront them everything will be okay.' Jade reassured smiling

'Naturally.' I smiled lightly plucking the flower and twirling it around between my fingers.

'Xiao Jing, Daughter of Marquis of the Second Rank'

I stood up and carefully walked towards the lady servant. Walking behind her, she stopped, stepped to the side, and raised her hand in the direction I should walk to.

Soon I was in front of the Emperor and Empress Dowager,

'This subject greets the Emperor and Empress Dowager. May they live thousand years.' I said bowing

'Huangdi, I was told that this First Miss was sickly but after an incident 6 years ago she became very healthy and talented. So healthy and talented that her parents allowed her to travel around Da Qing. She is such a free-spirited person but her etiquette is very well. ' Empress Dowager concluded.

It was quiet for a few seconds.

'Do you know how to read?' a deep voice asked.

'This subject studied 'Lessons for Women' and 'Domestic Lessons'' I replied bowing.

'Empress Mother is right. She is talented indeed. This Emperor will grant her fifth rank Noble Lady' the Emperor said.

'This concubine thanks the Emperor and the Empress Dowager, may they live thousands of years.'

'Bestow to the other miss's flowers.' Shouted the head eunuch.

The line of us bowed to the Emperor and Empress Dowager thanking them.

Then we bee-lined home.

At the Marquis's Residence

'Congratulations! Oh my!' Everyone was happy that I was accepted within the harem forgetting for a while about my leaving soon. Although in our minds we all knew that tomorrow will be different, and we all accepted the fact that I will be the Emperor's woman.

Thinking this I stood up and bowed saying, 'Dear family, I will do my best on the inside of the palace and become high ranking so that I can get visits from family members. Please don't worry about me on the inside and I won't worry about you on the outside.' I said smiling.

'Alright, we won't.'

I sighed smiling and fixing my posture.

'Okay then, let me personally serve each of you tea.'