Chapter 13

"This is good darling," Penny states in a very mom-like voice, when I finally join her back outside on the bench, as she walked out right after Jake and gave me a minute to gather myself.

"Yeah yeah."

"Agnes look at me," she physically turns my head towards her. "You need to be having fun. You were not yourself when I first got to know you, you were not smiling and laughing as much as you have been the last month or two. And these last few days? Don't even get me started on that," she laughs.

"What? What about these last few days?" I laugh with her but am still in confusion about, what she means with the last part.

"Ever since you and Jake first caught each other's eye, you have been... I don't know, different. You're more lively, I like this side of you. You have this look in your eyes, like something in you has just come back to life."

"I've only known him for what - three or four days?" my eyes suddenly widen in shock. "Jesus Christ, this is the fourth day since first meeting him."

"I think you've put Martin and your past in Washington behind you now, that's good Agnes," she roars with laughter. My shock isn't dialed down at all by what she answered me with.

It's hard to recognize myself like this. Before me and Martin even happened I was always open with boys and I dated a lot. I was never shy, and if I wanted something I went after it. Then Martin happened and I was settled down for a long time, and we had also known each other so well beforehand, so it didn't seem that fast of a development. But now I've also had the curious of love side of me totally shut down for six months, so it's weird to sort of be back into these kinds of things. 

I've had that side of myself cutoff, and the door was completely shut for anyone getting near me. In just a matter of days Jake has knocked on the door and I'm opening it to him. Maybe he actually just kicked in the door. Let me rephrase something - he doesn't have my heart yet, at all. But he has piqued my interest, and he definitely gives me the so called "fanny flutters".

I finally get Penny to stop the talk, that she's giving me. Instead she closes her accounting books and we grab two beach chairs. The sand is warm and soft. Walking barefoot in the sand has become a favorite of mine here, since the beach is all sand and no stone.

Pete greets us and raises his beer to mine to clink flasks. I purposefully sit down my chair a bit away from his, so that Penny is forced to sit between me and him, if she doesn't want to be rude to him.

"Who are you cheering on?" Pete probes both me and Penny as all three of us look out to the  football game.

I get caught up in following the game rather than giving Pete an answer. Everybody looked incredible - everyones' physique is marvelous. Jake moves differently though. He's superior to the others, he controls the ball with confidence and determination. Not too much determination though - just the right amount that allows one to see, that he's playing for fun, but that he still doesn't want to lose. Sweat drips down his body and his hair is ruffled up from all of times he runs his hand through his hair. He is one hell of a sexy man. And apparently also one whose 7 years my senior. Now that is a real man compared to my past romances - most recently Martin. I wouldn't mind Jake having his way with me. That dominance...

"Oh I'm cheering for Phoenix, but I'm sure Agnes will be rooting for your friend Hangman," Penny snaps me out of my daydream by practically telling Pete all, because her tone does nothing to hide that something has been going on between Jake and I. 

I curse her name under my breathe and both Peter and Penny seemingly hears it, as they both laugh lightly at me.

"Interesting choice, anything that I should know? He has seemed a bit giddier since yesterday morning," Pete looks at me with a raised brow.