The One where Nick gets a McName

In "I was made for you", the other story I've written, I imagined Callie and Arizona's reunion in New York. It involves a lot of drama and a happy ending with the two of them remarried and with three other kids. That's why I'm this chapter they will be mentioning more children than you remember from their time on screen. I really hope you enjoy their cameo!
____________________________________

“Dr Marsh! Hey, Dr Marsh!”

From the top of the stairs of Grey-Sloan, Nick spins around to look at the woman who called for him. She’s slowly making her way up the stairs as well and the way she moves is a little funny, but Nick can’t really put his finger on why.

“Hello, you are Dr Marsh, right? The Chief just told me you are on my team today.”

“Who…? Oh, you mean Meredith?”

She scans him with her big blue eyes, tilting her head a little bit to the side, then she gets a look on her face like she’s just decided something, nods and smiles.

“Yes, yes, Meredith. She said this surgery might interest you and I needed one more person on my team to begin with, so win-win. Yay for us!”

All of that enthusiasm is surprising, but no more than finding out Meredith thought of him, even though they haven’t seen each other or talked to each other in four days. The stranger is still waiting for his reaction so he smiles back and reaches out to shake her hand.

“Nice to meet you, Dr…”

“Robbins! And it’s my pleasure, Dr Marsh. I’ve heard great things” she says, the grin appearing on her face making Nick question what kind of bond she and Meredith share. “Great things” she then adds, really emphasizing the ‘great’.

“So what do you need me for?” he asks to try and take his mind off of Meredith.

“Ever heard of domino liver transplantation…?”

“Sure, yeah, they’ve been performed for years, but I’ve never been involved.”

“Good, you’re about to be. Now let’s go meet our patients.”

Nick follows her, unable to stop thinking about one thing Meredith said to him once.

“The worst part of this job is telling the family their loved one didn’t make it and you have that on some level in every single case.”

He smiles thinking that, if everything goes well (and Dr Robbins’ confidence is contagious enough to make him believe that it will), today he won’t have that on any level.

He didn’t expect the patients to be three babies, that’s for sure. The NICU is not a place he likes too much, not ever since Charlotte was one of the babies in there. While he was walking through the hallways with the very chatty doctor a bunch of residents, including Schmitt and Helm, joined their little procession, looking at the two of them with such interest and respect that Nick finds himself thinking about Meredith once again, stunned by the fact that her brand new teaching method is already making the residents more eager to learn.

“So, Dr Marsh, your pick: who do you want to meet first? Olivia, Marcus or Kathleen?” Robbins asks, pointing out three of the babies in the small incubators.

He turns around to look at the small crowd of residents and says: “Dr Schmitt, please present the youngest patient’s case.”

"Kathleen Zhang, 10 months of age, she was diagnosed with biliary atresia at three weeks of age..."

"Can someone tell me what biliary atresia is?" Dr Robbins interrupts him, reminding Nick they are supposed to be evaluating the residents' knowledge.

One of the senior residents, a red haired girl Nick doesn't know, immediately raises her hand. He gestures for her to speak and adds: "Explain it like you'd explain to a patient with no medical knowledge."