Chapter 7: The Search For the Missing Key

I thought that finding a key would be easy... apparently it wasn't. It took us a few hours, but we did manage to find the Shy Guy, he wasn't too far away from the other Shy Guy which made me wonder why we didn't find him soon. At least I think this is the Shy Guy the other one was talking about, it was a red shy guy, but they looked identical.

And was being eaten by a Paper Mache Goomba! Which didn't look that pleasant... Or enjoyable. I wonder if the goomba was enjoying it, Shy guys don't look very tasty.

The Paper Mache and the Shy guy were blocked by a fence that was even too high for Mario to jump over. Luckily there was a door that we could use, well after Mario filled it up because it was a bottomless hole.

Inside there was a back door that I tried to open but it was no use, it wouldn't budge.

"What are we supposed to do now?" I asked Mario. He looked around the room in search of another way. He started to move drawers out from a dresser. I wonder what that was for. Eventually they made a staircase. Well sort of. He started to climb it.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"The windows open." he pointed out, "I think it's big enough to climb though."

"Can I come up too?"

He was hesitant. "Sure... just be careful." Did he really think I didn't know that? It wasn't even that hard. I just had to place my foot on the open drawer. Well, I was floating but still.

"So, what are we doing next?" I asked.

"I'm going to drop down and hit the Goomba on the back where the sticker is," he whispered.

"Okay and what am I going to do?"

"You can stay safely out of the way."

I nodded

He dropped out of the window and hit the Paper Mache just like he said he would. I just stayed out of his way. The Paper Mache was quickly destroyed, and the Shy Guy was free.

"Thank you," the Shy Guys said with a sigh of relief.

I moved closer seeing as the danger was gone.

"Hey Mario." I tugged on his sleeve. "Is this the Shy Guy, you know the red one that's less handsome."

He chuckled.

"What?"

"Nothing... Though you might be right, I think it's the same one."

"Oh, so you were looking for me?" The Shy Guy asked.

"Yup." I told him.

"Well, what can I do for you two?"

"We're looking for a key." Mario explained. "It's for the sewers, do you, have it?"

"Well..." he started. "I left it in the red building on the far side of town, you know that one? It's near the port"

"I know where that is?" Mario muttered.

"Great. It's there."

"Thank you." I waved as we left.

"Happy to help."

The town wasn't that big, so it didn't take us too long to get to the port, about 5 minutes. The red building was easy to spot, because of its size and color.

Mario opened the door, inside the walls were covered with tall shelves of boxes. We started to search through them finding nothing. Though there was a guy hiding in one of the boxes, he had green skin and short blue hair. He had light green clothing and a shell on his back.

"Oh Mario," he said. "Thank you for saving me, I was in there hiding from the origami things."

Mario nodded. Oh, I guess Olly's folded soldiers are really scaring everyone.

"I'm just going to stay here until it's gone ok."

"Before you do." Mario started. "Have you seen a key?"

"Oh yeah. It's in the other room but I can't find the entrance... It disappeared."

"Disappeared? How did it do that?" I asked.

"I don't know, kid, it just did."

"Okay well thanks for your help, Mr....?"

"Spike and it's just Spike."

"Okay Spike."

"Olivia!" Mario yelled, from a little farther away from where we were "Over here!"

"What?" I asked, floating over.

"There's a magic circle. Can you activate it again?"

"Yup." with Mario using the 1,000-fold arms. He peeled the wallpaper off a section of that wall. Revealing the next room.

"Hey! You found it Mario." Spike yelled. "I would go in with you but there might be more creepy things."

"That's okay!" I told him. We can find the key ourselves right Mario?" he nodded.

In the next room there were more tall shelves all filled with boxes. But which one is the key in? Mario was also examining the walls of boxes.

"It's right there." he pointed, after a few minutes of examining. I looked up to where he was pointing. It was hanging out of a box on the top shelf.

"I can get it!" I told him. I started to float up to the box.

"Olivia! I don't think it's a good idea." Mario said.

"Why?" I asked, still floating the box closely in reach. My hands on the shelf for support. It was hard to float up so high.

"You could get hurt."

"I'll be fine." I told him. Did he really think I would be careless? I'm not ten. I grabbed the key and floated back down to him. "Here's the key!"

He grabbed it from me and walked out without another word. We didn't speak again until we reached the swear entrance. Mario placed the key in and moved the cover to the entrance.

"I'll go down first, and you can follow," Mario told me. I nodded and he headed down the ladder. I was quick to follow.

"Now time to find the entrance to Peach's Castle.

I'm so sorry for talking so long to update this I swear this fanfic is not dead. The beginning is just so boring so making it interesting is hard... I'll try to update a little more frequently. I also apologize for having short chapters...