2. pandora's box

November 29, 2003

She had returned to school the following day with an improved appearance and a story of a cold. It wouldn't make much sense to fall behind when she was so close to graduating. Her classmates seemed happy to have her back, a few of the people she regularly ate lunch with went so far as to verbally express their high spirits– "I got so scared, you didn't answer my texts!" and "Call me next time! I'll nurse you back to health." (Y/n) made a show of giggling at the last comment, much to the delight of the boy who made it. By the end of the day everything had returned to normal. It was almost as if nothing happened.

The only proof of last night's events was Light.

(Y/n) hadn't seen him at all on her way to school that morning. A rather odd occurrence, seeing as how they lived on the same block. He had only just shown up once she was already settled in and occupied with a conversation with the girl who sat beside her. She overheard him make some comment about missing his alarm. An obvious lie. The truth was that he had been trying to come to terms with the blood on his hands.

It seemed only natural that he would want to test out the powers of the notebook. (Y/n) knew it, Light knew it, (Y/n) knew Light knew it. That was the whole point of lending it to him– not because she had needed him to hide it, or even that she herself was afraid of using it. She wanted to watch. To see the block tower rise and come crashing to the floor.

And watch she did.

After she had left the Yagami residence the other day, (Y/n) went home and sat in front of the television, flipping through each news channel with a delight she hadn't felt since she was a kid. She watched with bated breath as the reporter announced the death of a kidnapper in Shinjuku. But after it was all said and done, she felt...empty. That was it? That's what she was waiting for?

Her teeth grit, her nails biting into the pillow clutched to her chest until it all just became too much.

"Idiot!" She shrieked. In an instant she had risen from the floor and thrown the pillow toward the television. It missed and instead made contact with the shelf above it, rattling the books and picture frames atop it. "Stupid, useless idiot!" She wasn't quite sure just who she was talking about. But it didn't matter then, nothing did.

She had half a mind to take back her notebook then and there. But what would she do? Just waltz right in and steal it from his hands? "Sorry Light, turns out I don't need you to hold onto it after all. Tee hee." Or maybe she could kill him. Her thoughts suddenly raced to the page she had ripped out before she handed it over. She had prepared to use it on him, albeit not this quick. It wouldn't be that hard. Just a few simple words:

Light Yagami forfeits ownership of the Death Note before committing suicide.

But then how would she get it back? If his family got hold of it she was screwed, and she wouldn't count on Ryuk to get it back to her. It was one thing to get rid of Light– an overworked, overachieving social butterfly who, deep down, is locked in an inner battle between himself and the world of expectations he's forced to meet. It was a bit of a stretch but not all that implausible. Give or take an hour and she could even have a convincing suicide letter drafted out. Killing his family would be another thing.

Having him do it under the influence was out of the question. She's seen those supposed "family-annihilators" before; her father's defended his fair share of them in court. Even with all the "he'd never hurt a fly" or "we should have seen it coming" bullshit they had a type, and Light Yagami was not that. His nuclear-housewife mother seemed incapable of having a thought aside from anything pertaining to her patriarchal stereotype role and his sister was too fucking stupid to ever plan anything like that out. And his father? She doesn't think there's ever been anyone as disinterested in his own life, or family, as Soichiro Yagami was.