Chapter 2 - Pansy

She didn't know this person.

Xandra blinked at the stranger sipping soup across the kitchen counter. Long silver strands that shone like the moon escaped from the ponytail over his shoulder and hung slightly over his face. He looked charming, but Xandra still didn't know him. She squared her shoulders and opened her mouth.

The stranger looked up with an excited smile on his face. "Time stopped, isn't it amazing?"

Xandra closed her mouth, speechless. He went back to his soup again. That...was it? The stranger refused to elaborate.

Xandra licked her dry lips and gulped, "Who...are you." It didn't sound like a question.

He looked up again with a thoughtful quirk in his lips. "Oh," he looked surprised. "Did I forget to tell you? Well-" He pushed the bowl aside and leaned over the counter, a golden pocket watch dangling between his fingers.

Xandra leaned back on her chair, eyebrows furrowing.

The stranger continued, "You see, I happen to grant wishes for people like you."

"People like me?"

He giggled with his eyes closed, "Those who managed to move even when time stopped." Opening his golden eyes, he dangled the stop watch over Xandra's confused face. "It's quite interesting, isn't it? A counter-clockwise-esque." He wrinkled his nose, "At least that's what I think those words mean."

Xandra said, "Are there other people like me?"

The stranger hummed thoughtfully before shaking his head, "Not that I know of."

For a moment, none of them spoke, and Xandra found herself staring into the space behind the stranger. He fiddled with his pocket watch for a second before settling his face on his chin and looking directly at her.

An empty laugh burst out of Xandra's mouth but her eyes didn't crinkle. How ridiculous. "You can't be serious."

The stranger seemed surprised, "Oh? What makes you think I'm not?" The grin on his face did not falter. He looked like a clown.

"Time doesn't stop. Life has to move," said Xandra. Lips pressed in a serious line; she crossed her arms.

"Does it?" For the first time, the stranger snatched his golden gaze away from Xandra. "I guess so. But does it really need to right now?"

Something nibbled at Xandra's insides, a question she couldn't help but sputter out, "Don't you have anything else to do? You look like an adult, don't you have work? A job? Responsibilities?" Despite the hostility in her words, the stranger did not flinch nor seem surprised.

He met her eyes again, this time with a seriousness that struck a chord in her mind. "I'm one of the more fortunate people; life doesn't bother me here anymore."

Nothing but an empty "Ah, I see" spilled from Xandra's mouth, disappointed eyes roaming the sturdy blue coat laced with gold, the gold-plated pocket watch, the expensive way his hair glittered under the cottage's warm lights. How fortunate indeed.

"Don't be disappointed," he gave her a calm look. "Being fortunate has its downs. Like say, in making wishes, I often don't make friends. Well...well.." His smile dissipated into a frown, thinking.

He forced a laugh anyway, "I just remembered I haven't granted anyone's wish yet after all." His eyes lit up, "Oh!"

The stranger stood up and rushed to her side, blue coat swishing with all the other golden tools around his waist. To Xandra's surprise, he took her hand in his.

She grimaced, leaning back against her chair. He leaned closer, face now mere inches from hers.

"You see I've always wanted a friend, and since you're now my client, you should tell me your wish!"