Chapter 7 - Poppy

"Good morning, Blossom Hill!"

The neighbor's booming radio blasted against the porch's flaking white gates.

"Xandra!" Jasmine threw open the house's screen door, a familiar black cat under her arm. She raised an arm to shield her eyes from the rising sun. It speckled her face in a golden, shining glow. "I knew you'd come."

Xandra's eyes dropped to the cat. It meowed and pawed at Jasmine's arm, begging to be let out of her clutches. It hissed and scratched at her. Jasmine dropped it to the ground with a hiss, "Bad kitty! Bad!"

The cat hissed back and sauntered back inside their house with a regal air. "Man what a brat. Brat!" Jasmine called back to the cat. It hissed back before finally turning around the corner and disappearing.

Xandra said with cautious words, "Is that...?"

"Aw no, no. He...moved on a few years ago. This is a new one, Jiselle named her Butterscotch but she was nowhere near sweet." Jasmine stepped out of the newly painted white porch, tying her hair in a high ponytail. It fluffed past her shoulder and bounced when she skipped down the porch steps and to Xandra.

Once she was near enough, Xandra sighed with closed eyes, "I could see that." She opened her timid eyes and asked, "When did you repaint the house? I remembered it differently." She frowned.

Jasmine walked toward the garage, Xandra in tow. She answered with a chuckle, "Just recently. The pink paint was flaking off and I suggested painting it new once I got back." She took a red bicycle and turned to Xandra, a slight teasing smirk Xandra has learned to fear. "What? D'you get lost?"

Xandra scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest, "No." After a pause, "maybe a little."

Jasmine guffawed, jogging to her with the red bicycle.

"What's it for?"

"A ride around town!" Jasmine took Xandra's hands and forced her to grasp the bicycle's handle. "I visit here frequently...mainly for Ja–ehem!" Her ears burned. "I mean, mainly for Jamie! Right, my little sister Jamie!"

Xandra sighed, "You don't have to be embarrassed, you've been talking all about him last night."

"Did I?" She exclaimed, running out with a pink bicycle. "But enough about that! We need to show you around town! Where should we go first, then, m'lady?" She winked with a laugh.

Xandra sighed again, but hopped on the bicycle anyway. Jasmine had a weird way of flirting with her friends, though Xandra didn't mind. She's been used to it, and frankly, she missed it. Xandra steadied her bicycle, "I want to see the old ice cream shop."

***

Thankfully, the ice cream shop miraculously stood against time for eleven years. Though there were some changes, like the signs on the glass doors and the new flavors on display, the calm interior and neatly made lavender lace pillows were as close to the original ones as it could get.

The bell rang as the two girls filed in. The shop was small, with sweet scented candles on shelves and cute kiddy tables, each a different pastel color.

"Oh what do we have here," a familiar teen with red hair and a cunning smile set down his ice cream scrapers to greet the two.

"Yo ginger!" Jasmine ran to give the teen a high five. "Ace my dude, my lil bro!"

Ace frowned and placed two hands on his hips. "I will call the witches on your ass if you don't stop calling me that." He said slowly enunciating each word.

Jasmine gave a dramatic gasp, "Man, Anton didn't beat you enough did he?"

"Where's Anton?" Xandra interrupted. She had her hands clasped behind her, looking over the counter for the old man. "I want the usual." Her voice was low, shy even.