Chapter 4 - Fleur-de-lis

Xandra closed her eyes, tiredness embracing her being. Another day finished, another day failed. I'll try again tomorrow. 

Sun shot up from her small bed under the window. She looked out to find the stars twinkling ever so bright. She doesn't get why her heart was beating so fast, why her legs and arms were clammy and–

"Good night, Sun." The voice lodged her back to her childhood room, where the man with white hair peeked through the cherry red door.

Her legs moved without her permission, scuttling out of the covers. She stood but before she could even reach Miyo, her feet had already given out underneath her.

Miyo caught her by the shoulders. Sun caught the worried blur for a millisecond before crashing her face into his chest. Though she wants to cry, the tears won't escape her eyes. 

A sad sigh escaped her, but along with it were words she'd had hidden and locked away somewhere she couldn't find it. It came tumbling out in a breathy, desperate gasp.

"I'll make sure to save you, Manasseh. I won't ever leave you, I promise... So please don't ever leave me too."

*

*

*

The calm breeze brushed past the leaves of Sun's garden. It was well tamed, shining with a peculiar blue hue that only the dew of the moon could give.

Beside her as she pruned the leaves of a Fleur-de-lis, Miyo sat in silent observation, as he always did.

"You really like flowers, don't you Sun?"

Sun didn't answer him, but the gentle caress of her hands on the soil was enough of an indication.

"Why?" Miyo asked.

Yet again, Sun was silent. She stayed still over the plant, admiring its lavender petals that drooped and curled ever so delicately. It was beautiful, and so, so fragile.

"Because their life is in my hands. I can choose to take care of them or kill them." Sun turned to look at Miyo, a small, sad smile fixated on her face. "I choose to keep them alive."

*

*

*

"There's still three more things I want to show you!"

Sun huffed and puffed as she followed Miyo through the thick thorn bushes and thickets. The sky was dark, and so was the tiny forest. Goosebumps peppered her skin, and a gripping feeling suffocated her heart.

Something was wrong.

"Wait–hold on," Sun gasped out, Miyo's shadow growing fainter and fainter in the distance. It stopped, waiting for her.

She yanked her lavender dress out of the thorn bushes' grasp, tearing a good part of it off. Sun grimaced but caught up with Miyo as best she could.

Miyo had his arms crossed, standing in front of a frosty lake. The bushes and trees looked much friendlier there. Sun sighed, brushing her dress off of dirt and debris.

Miyo turned to look at her, "Well, this is it."

"Shouldn't we have waited till morning to get here instead?" Her voice was low, a mumble even.

"No time to lose!"

Before Sun could react properly, Miyo dove in the lake, blue coat and golden equipment still on. "Miyo!"

Sun sighed exasperatedly, gripping her lavender dress as she paced in front of the lake. After a while, Miyo still hasn't come up.

"My, screw it," She said in a harsh whisper before diving in before him.