five

memory
seventh grade

▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬

Olivia sat on her bed watching as Steve pulled his legs over her window sill. He awkwardly stumbled as he placed his feet on her bedroom floor, shooting his hands out horizontally to keep his balance.

Steve loved climbing through Olivia's window. She always teased him for it, especially considering her home was a one story so Steve didn't need to 'climb' at all, he just had to hop over a bush and crawl into her room. Jesse Mendoza always reminded Steve that the front door was open and usable, especially for him, but Steve always refused. Crawling through his best friends window was a routine that he held close to his heart, even if he didn't understand why he enjoyed it so much.

Once Steve was situated inside, he gave Liv a wide dorky grin, his braces on full on display.

"Why do you still do that? You don't need to." She asked, she looked over at her window and let out a giggle.

"I gotta practice!" He responded, walking over to her bed and taking a seat next to her. "All the cool guys crawl through a girl's window in movies."

Olivia let out a laugh as she took in his appearance, traces of the bush outside her window decorating his corduroy jacket. Her eyes flew to his head, taking notice of the leaves stuck in his hair.

"You have stuff all over you." She said with a lopsided smile, leaning forward. Liv carefully brought her hands to his hair and picked out traces of dead leaves.

Steve sat still, looking over her face as it hovered above his, feeling her fingers tenderly pull things from his hair. She leaned back and took her place back on her bed. He gave her another smile.

"Thanks, Livie. What would I do without you?"

A loud crash sounded from the living room, causing both Steve and Olivia to whip their heads towards her door. They quickly looked at one another, their eyes meeting in worry.

"What is wrong with you!" Jesse Mendoza's voice filled the air. Olivia suddenly shrunk at the sound of it. Her father's voice was loud and angry, domineering in a way that gave her goosebumps. Jesse was not an angry man. Olivia had never heard him yell, had never heard his voice like this.

Steve shivered at the sound and observed Olivia. Her bit at her lower lip as her brows furrowed tightly. Steve could see her breathing begin to pick up and he watched as she walked towards her door, standing in front of where it was held open, a sliver of the hallway visible.

Olivia peered out, her eyes drifting to where her parents stood at the end of the hallway. Her mother looked ill, pale in the face, and angry. She held her hands at her sides in clenched fists.

"If you don't like what I do, leave. I don't want you here."

Crystal Mendoza's voice was poisonous. It settled uncomfortably on Olivia's skin.