@6

I did not know what to say to him. I led the way and he followed still teasing Baby. By the time we got home, the silence was already killing me especially with the state of the environment and our apartment. I unlocked the room.

“Baby come on” I beckoned and she came to me. “Are you sure you want to…come in?” I asked trying to avoid his eyes.

“Why not” he entered before us and collapsed on the sofa.
Baby and I went to the bed. I tried to avoid his eyes but could not as I reached to open the curtains.

“Isn’t it late, Namjoon?” I was starting to get embarrassed with his presence. If he wanted to take baby, I wanted to know. I was getting impatient especially with his deceptive relaxation.

“Why not let me worry about that?” he smiled and was sober again the next minute.

“Just that there’s nothing In the house. I need to go get some groceries to prepare dinner” I said.

“okay” was all he could say.
I quickly got dressed but how was I to leave him alone with Baby. I pretended to be searching for something.

“Do you want to take Baby, Namjoon?” I asked finally, tired.

“Take…what?” he blurted bemused.

“come here” he grabbed my hand and I slumped beside him. Under his arm so I smelled his cologne. I had to look up to his face which he brought so close.

“What if I take both of you huh?” he asked. Of course I fidgeted as I stared into his eyes trying to read into them.

“Okay” he stood up. “There’s no cooking we’re going out to catch up, okay? Come on” It was an instruction. He lifted baby into his arms and gave me a hand. I got up, took it and we left. I locked the door and we went out into the night.

Just beside my stalls at the market was where he packed a Hyundai. He went into the steering with baby who had totally relaxed with him. I entered the passengers. He smiled at me and drove off. Baby was in-between us.

He drove to a restaurant at New Haven. A posh restaurant that had a hidden suite where one would see no one and no one would see one. We settled at the table and a waiter appeared. Namjoon whispered into his ear and he left.

I was busy watching him, wondering what to make of all he was doing. The light was bright red and I noticed his eyes had reddened with the light. I had avoided his eyes. Soon the waiter arrived with everything one could think of like hamburger, vanilla ice cream, cookies and assorted candies for Baby.

Namjoon handled them all to her and concentrated on me. The waiter left and soon returned with big hamburger and vanilla for the both of us. He was still staring at me. Baby was lost staring at everything.

“Eat honey, okay?” Namjoon caressed her hair but she kept staring at me.

“Mummy, please sanction?” he teased cartoonish. I had to laugh.

“Go on and eat dear” I stroked her cheek and she did.

“Baby” he mimicked taking my hand. It was sensual. I feigned distraction. He touched my jaw and I looked.

“Ain’t I supposed to be the one answering Baby here?” There was something about the way he said that made me laugh that shy delighted laugh. He touched my lips.

“Right, am I not Sara?” he came to sit beside me sharing my seat. I was caressing my cheek not knowing what to reply. His hands came behind me and held me in the red light. He rested my head on his shoulder and I stayed.

Tears wet my lids as he held me. Soon he was back to his seat and we both tried to eat. Slowly I picked at my meal crumb after crumb.

He went to the windows to stare at the streets afterwards. Minutes elapsed.

“I knew it was a lie” he said finally.

“What?” I asked dropping the cup, and wiping my mouth with the back of my palm.

“I knew it was a lie” he turned to looked at me.

“what was a lie?” I asked.

“All Mummy said about you” he replied. “Hana told me everything and now I’ve seen you” he came quietly beside me. “why didn’t you call me?”

“I couldn’t” I could never say that without tears rushing to my eyes and he saw it.

“I never got to know about your parents till I came back, Sara. I’m so sorry I didn’t know. Please forgive me.” He held my face to his and kissed my forehead and my lips. Emotions washed through me.

“It must have been hard for you and I wasn’t there. Please find it in your heart to forgive me” he embraced me and I let out my tears on his shoulder.

Baby only stared at us not knowing what to make of the situation. I cuddled unto Namjoon accepting everything he was offering me. It was late but I desperately needed that consolation from him for l long yearned for it.

“I couldn’t call you, Namjoon” I sobbed. “Though there was a time I did but I just couldn’t talk” I said laughing because he had released me by then.

I began to clean my eyes.

“Yes, I sensed it was you” he pointed at me laughing. “The labored breathing and that silence” he chuckled.

“Then I heard voices” I mumbled twisting my fingers. “A female one” He raised my jaw.

“I was in the classroom then, funny?” He laughed and kissed me all to tenderly. I responded as we clung to each other. Baby was already dozing. He picked her up and we headed out.

Back at the yard, I clung to him as he unlocked the door. He laid Baby on the bed and I settled on the floor. His farewell kiss affected me in many places and I gripped him hard. He was about to go but I could not release his hand.

My eyes said it all as I stared at him. He quickly locked the door and came to me.

I’ve always doubted if Namjoon really loved me but as he set about loving me that night, I did not know what to think anymore. He really knew how to love and he did love me.

Bossnamjoon~