Love (Future AU)

New story! I have seen so many comments about Mer and Nick possibly getting married at some point... While I think this won't happen so soon, I would love to see it for them in the future... Anyway, here is my take on a conversation about marriage (not an actual wedding or something similar! Sorry!!) I hope you like it, anyway 💕

It takes place at some point in the future, Meredith and Nick live in Minnesota, Amelia and Maggie are there to visit.

..........

It has been a long day. And somehow Meredith was still a little shaken up by the case they have had that day. So, when they laid down that evening, her thoughts kept her from sleeping. They had saved a 14-year old girl today, who was brutally beaten up by an unknown man. And as professional as Meredith is and as much as she tries to seperate her life from the terrifying things she sees every day at work, that day she constantly had to think about her kids, hoping that they would never get hurt that badly.

Nick had fallen asleep a while ago. She had listened to his breathing, which had a calming effect on her. And after the dinner she had had with her kids, her sisters and Nick, she had been distracted as well. But now as the silence of the night filled the room, her thoughts and fears were creeping up inside her as well, keeping her from falling asleep.

.

Meredith turned around a few times in an attempt to fall asleep, unsuccesfully. And the longer she stayed in that bed, tired and exhausted, but not able to get any rest, the more impatient she got. Just as she wanted to get up to not wake up Nick, she felt his arm gently embracing her, bringing her closer to him, stopping her from slightly trembling.

"I'm sorry, I woke you up." Meredith whispered, adjusting her head a little to look at him, even though it was too dark to really see anything.

"It's okay." Nick answered as he caressed over her back before he asked "You think you can sleep a little?"

Meredith didn't answer, which ansered his question. She felt him leaning in, pressing a small kiss on her forehead. And as he didn't get an answer, he knew that she felt too restless to fall asleep right now.

"You want to get up?"

"I don't want to keep you from sleeping." She answered with a shy smile, caressing over his arm now, thankful for the comfort he provided her.

"Let's get downstairs. Come on." He whispered after pressing another small kiss in her hair, taking her hand afterwards.

.

"Do you want a tea?" Nick asked silently, as they went downstairs. And the small shy smile Meredith gave him must have been enough of an answer for him as he went towards the kitchen, squeezing her hand for a short moment before he let go of it to make them a cup of tea.

Meredith observed him for some moments, a smile on her lips at the way he cared for her. She took a few steps closer towards him, so she could lean onto his side while taking his hand.

"Thank you." She whispered, before he freed his hand to bring it around her, pulling her closer into his side. And with the comfort he provided her, she let her her head rest against him.

"Here." Nick whispered, handing her a cup of tea once it was finished, before they went towards the couch to sit down there.

"Our case from today is still on your mind, isn't it?" He asked softly, lifting his arm, so she could lean against his side again.

"Yeah..." She sighed "It just... It scares me to let my kids get more independent, knowing there are so many bad people outside there."

"It scares me too." Nick caressed over her arm "The first time Charlotte wanted to go out at night with some friends, she begged me every night at dinner for two weeks, until I finally let her go." He earned a small chuckle from Meredith "It scares me, but I try not to let that fear overtake me because otherwise..." He let his sentence fade off.