Chapter 14, Butterflies.

It had been almost a week since I had last seen Loki. I had booked a few days off to spend some time with Jessie, and then it simply had been quiet at work.

I would not have admitted it to anyone, but I was missing Loki. I had grown to like him, grown to care for him a little bit more than I was comfortable with. When we had started working together, I thought I firmly knew who Loki was, and what he was. But he hadn't been what I expected at all.

Loki could arrogant and condescending at times, but I couldn't help but feel that there was more than that to him. He was always so guarded and often lied, but every now and again something real came shining through, in a glance, a smile, or a moment of sadness.

It was becoming harder and harder to see the villain I had fought in the past in the man who was now working beside me.

So when Richard rang, I jumped at the opportunity. It was a simple and easy job, way below my pay grade. Richard was almost apologetic. But I couldn't wait to go.

I spent far too long in front of my wardrobe, only to settle for my usual jeans, sweater and leather boots combination. Should I wear my hair loose or in a ponytail? Annoyed with myself, I put it up in a bun instead and ran out of the door.

I had butterflies in my stomach when I walked through the doors of Temple Hall. Butterflies! I hadn't had butterflies in my stomach in more than a decade!

I nervously bit on a fingernail as I waited for Loki to be brought up from his cell.

He was always brought in by two guards, chains around his ankles, his hands manacled in front of him. Loki'd give me a wry smile and a little wave the moment he spotted me, patiently waiting to be unchained and handed over into my custody.

It took longer than usual I thought. Maybe that was just my nerves.

The doors finally opened, and Loki walked in the door between his guards. There was no smile, no wave. His face looked thunderous as he yanked his hands out of the manacles before they had fully opened.

"Took you long enough," he growled at me.

I put on the bracelet the guard handed me. Was he angry that I had taken a few days off? It couldn't have been fun for him to be locked up for so long I supposed.

"I'm sorry," I apologised, "I took a few days off."

"Selfish cow," Loki muttered it under his breath, but I had heard it anyway.

Angrily I walked ahead. I had no patience with him behaving that way toward me, but I also did not want to make a scene in front of the other Templars.

I stomped ahead at a firm pace. I usually struggle to keep up with Loki. I'm not exactly short and I have long legs, but his legs are far longer and sometimes it felt like I had to take two steps for each of his. Now he was lagging behind. Was he being stroppy?

I looked behind me. He was walking slowly and awkwardly. His face was grey. My irritation turned into concern. Was he unwell? Was he in pain?

I did not want to ask as long as there were Templars around, suspecting Loki would be too proud to answer anyway.

Instead of going straight to Agartha, I ducked into an alleyway. Loki soon followed.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, my voice filled with worry.

"I am fine. Why would you care anyway? Let's just go." Loki growled, his brow furrowed.

I gathered my anima and channelled it through the grimoire I had clipped to my jeans. A globe of blood, my blood, began to form in my hand.