[SEASON 1] Chapter 5

"Why are we wearing black cloaks?"

"Death likes the color black, okay? What? You were planning to enter the Underworld looking like a personal assistant?" My suit was a black shade with formality on the side but I suppose Death liked a more traditional approach.

After substantial preparation, Ina managed to send us alongside Death's Tower looming over us like a huge Godzilla.

Funnily, they don't teach the intricacies of the underworld's layouts in Catholic schools. When heaven and hell were discussed with saturnine and vigorous responses from enthusiastic students, the Underworld was heavily underappreciated. Kiara briefed me quite a bit about the place despite my general understanding of it.

The Underworld acted as a gateway between Heaven and Hell. This was where souls resided in the meantime before they were judged. In order to make sure these souls wouldn't escape and act as residue to Earth, a big mutt called Cerberus would appear at a lightning's pace and prevent them from doing so. When I gave another peek at Calli's list of things to do, I now understood what she meant by getting rid of any fake Cerberus around here. As far as I knew from Kiara's familiarity with this place, there was only one Cerberus acting as a guardian while the rest were impostors.

"I'm only saying, don't you think we look silly? You have orange hair. It doesn't go well with this at all-"

"Shush! Follow my lead and never disrespect the dead." I was too occupied by the absurdness of my situation to even listen to her.

All I could do to imagine what heaven looked like was fantasize. The Underworld was ironically what I expected of it to look like. Braids of never-ending loops circulated around the skies, black and white teardrops dropped off them like falling glaciers. The gloomy atmosphere surrounding our perimeter exuded a great feel, one that snarled extinction and pure misery.

What was I going to say to Kiara? Apologize to her for having to help me with this? I might've died if not for her sharing a portion of her power through my veins. If she'd go this far for someone she barely knew...

I have to stay focused. I didn't want to break hers since she was trying her best to keep me alive here. The least I could do is not be a burden. This place screamed a no-safe zone for mortals.

"Just to let you know, the Underworld isn't all this drabby. You haven't seen the plaza," Kiara snapped me out of my daze. Just overthinking what kinds of monsters resided here made me high on alert. "Calli worked near there before she became an idol. We'll invite you there next time when we're all free from work."

"Why is this part of the map completely hopeless-looking? I've been feeling constant shivers this whole time."

"It's probably because of the Grim Reaper's tower. It affects everything in its range with darkness. Luckily for the both of us, we're infused with celestial power that eliminates corrosion of this place! Aren't you glad you're still up on your feet?" I should be used to her having normal reactions saying such outlandish things.

"What would've happened if you didn't ingrain your powers into me?"

"You'd have probably melted and your soul would forcibly come out," I was bullshitting myself. Why was I here? I question my humanity sometimes.

I can empathize now with the previous assistants' struggles. These tasks were impossible. But I was still here, wasn't I? I might've been more willing than them. Wait... That could mean I'm only insane if that's the case. Even the most beefed-up person wouldn't take a job like this.

Soon enough, we were met with spears placed near our necks by the guards at the front gates. Their bodies were non-existent and replaced with a hollow black mist, their eyes surging with vengeful light.