[SEASON 2] Chapter 16

"I-I like you!"

I didn't want to say it again. Reiterating this simple but embarrassing sentence was not a choice anymore. The wind wasn't so harshno other person was in the background being a hindrance or an interruption to this confession that was already at the point of combustion.

The world was a fathomable amethyst, a perfect moment which could only happen if the moon decided to shine itself on me.

Mori Calliope. A powerful, passionate, and resolute woman stood before me like a beacon of hope. Everything about her made me question myself for a second. I recovered and realized I should've been honest from the start. I like you.

As crazy as it was, I believed myself to never be normal. Why did I like her? What made me like her? Just because she was pretty? She had a way with words? She knew what to say when I find myself dumbfounded at her?

What did I see in her?

"... Why do you like me?" Her voice was like a bell chime, sonorous and serene.

"I..."

No words came out of my mouth. I was seeing stars with my eyes open. Suddenly, the sky above us filled with stars and a big patch of never-ending color now reversed to one that was no longer illuminated.

The myriad of colors I once thought was a precious amethyst now turned a gloomy stage, concealing the secrets of happiness. Calli wasn't moving but she was getting far away from me, her figure was slowly perishing, her eyes buried behind her pink bangs.

"C-Calli?!" I try reaching out with my hand but my body wasn't there anymore. My fingers were crumbling away like dust being carried by the wind. My teeth grinded as my pulse quickened in a sense I've never felt before. "Calli! Don't go!" I screamed again, the fidelity we shared in our relationship as boss-and-assistant being exscinded and tossed into oblivion.

"Say something. Anything. Why do you like me?" Her voice was all I heard. I was talking to a false reality I comprehended as truth in this world. "Personally..." she whispered, though her voice in this world was loud enough that even the faintest sound could cause a ripple in the surface.

"You can't protect me... You can't fight with me... You're nothing but a person. A mere existence existing. You're only Clay Johnson."

Why couldn't I say anything back?! I wanted to tell her I could do all those things!

"Frankly, you'd only be a burden. I don't need someone like you."

One last word came out of her lips as the ground beneath me shattered.

"Goodbye."

~*~

"WHAAAA- F**k!" I fell from the couch after waking up from a shitty nightmare. Any good length of sleep I could've had this night could no longer be peaceful afterward. After getting promoted to being Calli's personal assistant by Yagoo, I noticed I'd bred a new form of tendency. I fell to the floor a lot.

I touched my face and felt my fingers. They were gathering sweat. My hands literally worked out while I was off in dreamland. The basketball game I was watching on television had now been replaced by a late-night comedy show. Gah, I forgot to turn it off.

"It's just been nightmare after nightmare since..." I scratched the back of my head, thinking about Death implanting nightmare seeds into my brain just to mock me. I swatted the thought away. "I can't sleep like this!" I stretched my arms and got to my feet.