[SEASON 2] Chapter 30

It took half an hour outside of the ten-minute mark for the four of us to enter the room where Jean was sleeping with conflicts in her mind. I didn't want to jinx anything. If she was going to wake up or not.

"Before we go inside, Clay," Calli held my hand and I felt a layer of ice tickle my palm all the way through my wrists. "It's protection. Use it when you're in a pickle. Always better to be safe than sorry." An ancient rune was placed on me, she said.

I wiggled my eyes at her. There wasn't enough jesting this morning.

She punched my arm. "Not that kind of protect- guh... Don't look at me."

"You're right. I'm sorry." I focus back on Jean. The little sister that I never expected. "I hope you're fighting well inside there. Bet you didn't think your big brother was man enough to take on fantasy-like affairs."

"Clay... Focus."

I closed my eyes. "Okay."

"To let you all know, this is a cloning device I'm carrying."

"Just hold onto it, nerd." Zed commanded.

All I knew in that pitch black darkness was how myriads of colors splashed and ricocheted before we were transported to another world once more, Zed and Calli's chanting sounding like bell chimes in my ears.

I needed a date with Calli after this.

~*~

"Hey..." Someone's words were muffled in my ears. The surface below me felt abysmal like I was falling down even if there was a platform. Emotions pertaining to precariousness seeped through me, alarming me of the potential deathly threats the area boasted 24/7.

My eyes proliferated to my surroundings and suddenly everything didn't make sense anymore. I was in a putrid environment filled to the brim of a purplish and ghoulish wasteland. So this is what nocturnal dimensions looked like.

"Not what you expected?" Calli extended a hand for me to get up. I reciprocated, feeling the floor grab my ass as I stand up.

"For a girl's nightmare, I still expected there to be rainbows and all sorts of other colors not listed there. However, the place could use more fuchsia."

"Yeah well, nocturnal dimensions often disappoint." Calli was hawking the environment, already seeing everything from an omniscient point of view. Though that was just me hyping her up as she slapped my arm lightly. "We really need to get a break sometimes from all these places and monsters. I'd take Starbucks right now to be honest."

"Cool down on the last bit. We haven't seen any monster just yet." I breathed quite well in a place that wasn't suited to my physiological needs. Maybe I just worked well under pressure. Every step felt like digging into mud. "Starbucks? Really?"

"I just said what comes to mind, hmph. What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking Arlington in Texas if we're going to take a hiatus from your streams. Less stress, more time for us to be with each other and go be active together outdoors. Things like those."

"Oh, that's pretty cool. Al Capone was there before. Waved and told him to be careful. Though I already knew what was gonna happen when I said that." She flicked my forehead. "Get your head in the game, Clay. We're here to save Jean. But it's nice to know you're trying to be calm at this moment. Places like this require a secure heartbeat."

"You've been abusing me since this morning from dunce hats to physical violence. I get to have my fair share of questions..." I teased. "How would you judge the city by today's standards as a place to vacate to for vacation?"