★★★★

WILL'S EYES fluttered opened as he looked at his surroundings. He was laying in a hospital bed with a cast on his arm. The window showed nothing but pitch black darkness outside. He must've fell asleep at some point without realizing it. To his left sat his mother and Jonathan, and to his right sat Mike.

He felt his mother run her hands through his hair as she asked, "Did you sleep good?" He simply shrugged, still feeling tired and drained from all that had happened earlier.

"Did the plan work?" He muttered out, his voice slightly hoarse from being choked by vines and screaming. She nodded with a small smile, which he returned weakly.

      "Yes, it did. You were so brave, sweetheart," She told him, giving him a kiss on the forehead. Everyone was silent for a moment before she continued, "Only one person is allowed to stay the night with you, and Mike really wanted to. If you want him to." Mike looked away as she said this, trying to hide his embarrassment.

"Uh, yeah. I don't mind," He answered, glancing over at Mike for a moment. "What time is it?" He asked.

"It's almost 12, so we'll have to leave soon." Jonathan answered him. Will frowned a bit, but wasn't too upset since he hated when people treated him like he needed constant assistance. After that, they all sat and made some small talk until Joyce and Jonathan had to leave (not before drowning Will in goodbye's and hugs).

      After they had left, the room was drowned in silence. Mike hadn't said much since Will had woken up, and he knew something was wrong. Turning his head to face him, he asked, "What's wrong? You seem quiet."

      "Well, it's just," Mike started, looking at a wall instead of at Will. "I thought you were gone for good when you were still floating, and then when your arm broke... I just don't know how I could ever live without you." Will was slightly taken aback by Mike being so open like this, but he couldn't say that he didn't feel the same way.

      "I understand," He nodded his head as he responded. "I feel the same way. If something ever happened to you, it would be hard for me to find a reason to live." Mike smiled his signature smile that he only used with Will, making the other boy's heart flutter.

      "But, it's not just that. When I thought you were dead, I realized something. My whole life pretty much, I've been lying to myself. Deep down I always knew it, but I tried so hard to ignore it." Mike was rambling on, and Will wasn't sure what he was even talking about. "I tried so hard to make myself be normal. To pretend like I didn't feel weird whenever you were around." The brunette was still completely oblivious to what was being said to him at the moment.

      Mike took a deep breath before saying more. "What I'm trying to say is... I'm in love with you, Will. I have been, since like, the first grade." Will's jaw dropped slightly at what he just heard. Did he really hear that correctly?

      "I don't think you realize how long I've been waiting to hear that." Will smiled wide, reaching his left hand over his body for Mike's hand that was resting on the bed. The two held hands, smiling in the warm and comfortable silence they created. Will didn't know how much time has passed, but he was sure he could stay like that forever.

      "You need to get some rest, you've had a very long day." Mike said as his thumb brushed over the other boy's hand. The brunette simply nodded as he relaxed and closed his eyes. "Goodnight, Will." Mike said as he also got comfortable in the chair he was in, closing his eyes after throwing a blanket over himself.

      "Goodnight, Mike." Will whispered, both boys falling asleep not too long after.

❦                 ❦                  ❦

Visiting hours were almost up, but Lucas still hadn't got to see Will. He wasn't exactly sure what had happened, but all he knew was that Will had gotten injured by Vecna. Luckily, though, it wasn't as extreme as what had happened to Max. Lucas sighed, thinking back to that moment. He felt like it was his fault. Maybe if he had just beaten up Jason sooner he could've saved her. His thoughts carried his feet over to her room where he sat down in his usual chair.

"Hey," He started, looking over at Max in the bed, still unresponsive. "We defeated him, Vecna. Will served as a distraction and Nancy, Hopper, and El got him. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I know Will got hurt in the process." He explained what happened to Max.

"Don't worry, it's nothing as bad as what happened to you. I'm pretty sure it's just a broken bone, which isn't good either. But, like, it's not as bad as your condition." He attempted to explain himself, even though he already understood what he meant. He sighed, closing his eyes for a moment. Every time he spoke to her, he expected her to respond with some snarky comment or to laugh at a joke he said, but every time, he was let down.

      "I wish none of that would've ever happened. Then, you would be okay, and I could be there for you and listen to you tell me about your problems or just whatever you wanted to talk about," He started ranting a bit. "I would do anything to hear your voice again, or to see you smile again..." He trailed off, looking down at the floor hoping it would distract him from the feeling of wanting to cry.

      "I'm sure you're tired of listening to me just talk, so I'll be quiet and go to sleep, and let you rest. Goodnight, Max." Lucas said before getting himself ready to go to sleep in the same chair he's been sleeping in for as long as Max has been in here.