Chapter 5 - Warmth of the Heart

June 24, 2024 Floor 48: Lindas

Inside of a blacksmith shop with a revolving waterwheel, a pink-haired blacksmith wearing a maid outfit was hard at work.

In truth, this wasn't something she would've chosen to wear, especially for her occupation. It was a recommendation from a friend who was also a regular customer.

At first, she adamantly refused. However, she finally agreed after roping her friend into a deal where she would also have to wear some embarrassing cosplay for a bit. Unfortunately for the blacksmith, her sales actually doubled after she wore her new uniform, leaving her no choice but to continue wearing it.

*Clang* *Clang*

She was hitting an ingot with a hammer until it started to take the shape of a mace.

Just as she made the final strike-

"Hey, Liz!"

"Ahh!"

The door to the workshop opened loudly as she hit the metal for the final time, completing the process and creating the mace.

"Ohh, not bad," the intruder marveled at the weapon. "You're getting better. But sorry, I'll be careful next time."

"I wonder how many times I've heard that," she snarked. "Well, at least it was right when I finished."

She picked up the newly created mace and inspected it. At the same time, the intruder walked over and sat at a wooden stool near the anvil.

"Hey, Asuna," she greeted her friend. "So, what is it today? You're pretty early."

In front of her was a beautiful girl with long, waist-length, chestnut-coloured hair and bright orange eyes. Throughout Aincrad, she was known as the Vice-Commander of the «Knights of the Blood Oath» or the «Lightning Flash». To the blacksmith, she above all else was her friend, Asuna.

"Ah, I want you to take care of this," Asuna responded as she passed over her rapier, sheathe and all to the strangely dressed blacksmith.

The blacksmith smiled fondly as her gaze swept over the weapon. «Lambent Light». Smithed from some of the best materials found – as well as a blade Asuna claims to have been with her from the very beginning – she felt a special connection with the blade, having forged it in her own workshop.

Taking a quick look at it, she noted that while a bit dull, there was hardly an issue with the blade's cutting power.

"It's not that out of shape, is it? It's a bit early for repair."

"Yeah you're right. But I want it to be all shiny and ready for a full day of work."

"Hmmmm," she looked her friend up and down. "A shiny rapier is nice, but you might want to change into something nicer to go with it."

She noted how the rest of her equipment seemed a bit more dull then usual, as if she was using it too frequently without changing. Clearly that is what needed polishing.

Asuna merely smiled bashfully in response.

"Well that's not my business," she conceded.

And with that, she went through the process of polishing the rapier, completing it in record time.

"That'll do it," she called.

"Thanks, Liz!" Asuna replied as she took back her rapier.

The moment their hands were both on the rapier, Liz realized something – Maybe she should just leave her friend alone and let her reveal what was going on naturally...