Chapter 6 - Laughing Coffin

A flurry of weapons rained down on him. Each of them were four different types of the weapons available to players in the death game known as «Sword Art Online». Wielded by four different people, the boy being attacked had to find a way to prevent any of them from hitting his vulnerable body.

Collecting himself, he spun around, keeping his staff out, he was able to get a clean hit on one of his assailants, he hit that one in the gap of his armour before pulling the stick in the opposite direction and hitting a different person in the head.

Somehow predicting another hit, he took one of his hands off of his weapon and pulled it towards his body. A standard sword cut at the now empty area. Then using his fist, he attacked the blade's wielder with a well aimed punch to the face

I guess those martial arts skills weren't a complete waste of time.

As he thought that, he used his staff to vault forward, rotating himself around before landing on his feet and attacking the dagger wielder who was unleashing a flurry of slashes on the area he once occupied.

Using his weapons far superior reach, he attacked the yellow-clothed boy before he could even finish his final skill.

And that's all four.

After making sure each of his assailants were downed, he let out a sigh of relief.

As soon as he did so, the sound of clapping filled the air.

"Not bad, leader." A voice called over. The owner of the voice walked over to the people who were attacking him moments ago and offered his hand to the only girl there.

"That's your third successful win today," the boy said. "They didn't get a single hit on you and you were able to predict strikes you couldn't see," he summarized the training fight. "Congrats. I think you're ready."

Despite his success, he could not bring himself to smile. Not when he knew what he was practicing for.

"Thanks, Kirito," he said a bit woodenly. He turned to the rest of his guildmates who were picking themselves up off the ground. "Sorry about that guys. I hope I didn't hit you too hard."

"Don't worry about it, boss," Tetsuo assured him. "If it's for our mission, we'll take any hit. You know, as long as this gets you guys ready."

That was able to bring a smile to his face. He couldn't help but appreciate his friends. They always had his back. And as cruel as it may sound, he was glad that they were trapped in this death game with him.

"As for the rest of you. Some advice for when you're fighting more intelligent opponents." Kirito addressed the others.

"Sasamaru, good attacking speed, but you should avoid leaving yourself too vulnerable. Find a good opportunity to attack while being sure to defend yourself."

"Tetsuo, remember to actually use your shield. Even when your attacking, it can still defend you if you can predict where your enemy will attack you."

"Ducker, nice attacking speed. You're really learning from our lessons. Still, avoid leaving yourself vulnerable when fighting opponents with weapons that have a better reach. Try using those martial arts skills we've been practicing to defend your other side to."

"Sachi, also remember to keep your shield up... then again, that probably won't save you from face punches." He laughed a bit mischievously. At the same time, he flashed a glare at Keita. "Also, I know that Keita's our friend, but don't hesitate like that when fighting a real opponent, okay?"

They all nodded and agreed. Looking at their arms tentatively, it was evident that they were taking his advice to heart.

"Well we're up for another round," Sasamaru challenged as he got up. "You ready, Keita?" he asked, his voice missing its usual careless tone.