Chapter 11 - The Sword Dance of Moonlight

Floor 61

The two Black Cats looked around, eyes wide, gawking like a bunch of tourists.

Selmburg was a beautiful castle-city located on an island in the middle of a lake. The sun had almost set, and the final rays of light lit the streets a dark purple.

"Hmmm. It's large and has few people." Kirito commented. "I like how it feels so spacious."

"Then why not move here?" Asuna asked sincerely. "It's not like there aren't vacant player homes."

"Can't," Kirito answered casually. "We've been saving up for a different place."

"Also, Keita wants our guild to be based in an area that's easy for people to find," Sachi added. "That way we can be commissioned for requests easily."

"Hmmm, not a bad idea," Asuna mused. "Still, I'm sure you two would like to have your own place," she said while giving them a sly look.

They both blushed at the accusation.

"M-more, importantly, was it really okay to leave your bodyguards back there?" Kirito tried to change the topic.

Asuna looked at him with a good-natured smile. "What? You think I can't take care of myself?"

"N-no," he responded, a bit flustered. "I just meant... I mean..." he paused. "You know what? You're right. Why do you even need bodyguards? It's such a waste of time and people."

Her brighter expression slightly faded away. "It's true that some bad things happened some times before... but..." she trailed off as she had a nervous look on her face.

Concerned, Sachi hesitantly gave her a sympathetic touch on her arm.

Asuna looked surprised for a bit, but it was quickly replaced with a more grateful look.

"Well the members say it's guild policy but..." she looked away nervously. "But sometimes I feel like my leader is trying to make sure I never leave..."

There was an uncomfortable silence between them.

"Well, if you ever need a place to escape to," Sachi spoke slowly, "you know where we live."

Asuna smiled at her gratefully. "Thanks... but so do they..."

Turning away quickly, she didn't notice Sachi smiling ruefully at her own words. ...I wonder... if I had said that back then...

It didn't take them long to get to Asuna's house. Her home was a small but pretty three-floored maisonette. Something far outside of their budget in-game and probably a hopeless dream to get IRL.

Suddenly conscious of their different stations, the two Black Cats couldn't help but feel a bit self-conscious.

"Are you sure about this?" Sachi asked nervously. This wasn't exactly her first time entering a residence owned by Asuna, but that didn't make her any less worried than the other times.

"Of course," Asuna said without a care. "You're my friends."

And with that, they steeled their resolves and followed Asuna inside.

They were greeted by the sight of a beautiful room, decorated with what was most likely the highest-quality player-made items.

Still, it gave off a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere.

"Wow," Sachi breathed as she looked around. "Your home is beautiful, Asuna."

The girl in question smiled at the compliment. "Thank you."

"Anyways, let's get changed." She punctuated her request by flicking the gold and silver armour on her friend's shoulder.

"So I guess I should just wait here?" Kirito asked, sounding a little lost.