Chapter 12

Whenever your child tells you about their passions and dreams, you are put in a position of either bringing their dreams to light or destroying it. Nero and I did not grow up in the limelight, we chose to enter it so allowing our children to enter the same industry was difficult because we had experienced so much.

We held off on the idea of them becoming child stars because it would change the course of their lives but we made sure to keep their dreams alive. Whenever Vinnie or Valerie came to us with the idea of making a film, Nero and I would take the time to develop the idea. I bought a bunch of camera equipment which we would use to film their projects then we would hold a premiere at our home and our loved ones would show up to support them.

Now I have the privilege of directing Vinnie in his first ever feature film for Netflix and it's quite the honor. My son is a natural after all the practice that we have done at home and now he has a bunch of show reels for his resume.

"I need more emotion from you." I tell my son as I prepare to have him reshoot a scene. "You need to understand this is the highlight of his career, a moment that he never thought would come. This is the moment when he realises that he has reached the top of the mountain and all the emotions come flooding in. He is not only at his happiest but at his saddest as he remembers the struggles that he encountered up until this point."

Vinnie looks around the gym, "I told you she was deep."

The cast and crew begin to laugh which makes me laugh as well but they only have Nero to blame. I never used to be a deep thinker until I started spending my nights with Nero and he would go on about life in its entirety and how certain decisions lead us down certain roads.

"This will be the last take then we need to move on." I tell the team as I make my way to my seat behind the cinematographer. 

We go from the point where the boxer realises that he has knocked out his opponent and the whole room falls silent as they watch in awe. The referee checks in on the fallen opponent before signalling that the match is over.

The moment that the young boxer is lifted up in the air by his coach, the whole room explodes in cheers.

"YOU DID IT!"

I find myself being moved to tears as an explosive scene takes place and watching my son fall back has me wanting to run to him

I find myself being moved to tears as an explosive scene takes place and watching my son fall back has me wanting to run to him. You never wanted to see your child hurt whether they're acting or not so it taking a lot of restraint.

"He's a future academy award winner." The producer tells me and I nod my head while watching the scene. "You've taught him well, Freya."

"No." I shake my head while smiling. "That's his father."

"Well you better take some credit and I expect to see you up on that stage when you win the academy award for best film." I chuckle at his words. "You're laughing but I'm serious, it's been a while since I've seen raw talent like this."