1. Meet

Breathe.

New continent, new country, new year, new school, new friends.

New life.

Just take it as calmly as possible: don't draw any attention, don't get on people's way, and keep your head down.

Easy, right?

So many thoughts ran through Asher's mind, but most of them meant the same: do not become a target. Do not repeat the same mistakes as last year.

This is a new beginning.

"For both of us" his mother had said.

Walking through the hallway with his bag across his shoulder and his eyes looking from foot to foot, Asher could never have felt more insecure. He knew that he was just being paranoid, nobody knew why he had changed his school, and country, in the middle of the school year.

Still, he couldn't help but feel like everybody's eyes were on him. He quickly looked at the piece of paper in his hand, which had his number for the locker and his designated form room. That last one he still didn't know what it was, but he guessed he was about to find out.

"Happy New Year, Truham boys" a male's voice came over PA. "Uh, don't forget there'll now be students from all school years in your new from groups. I hope you enjoy getting to know some fresh faces in registration each day".

And that was all, still no idea what a form group was. Asher sighed as he read the hour on his cellphone, if he went to find his locker, he would be late to the first hour. He decided to take his bag with him and make the search at lunch.

He turned around and tried in the other direction. B25 was the room he was looking for, his eyes going from label to label until he finally found it. He entered the class and looked around; this was absolutely nothing like his old school. Asher didn't come from a bad school, but the rooms there didn't use to be so tidy and lively.

His gaze met the adult sitting at the main desk, the teacher, he supposed. He took a few steps closer, but didn't quite get there since he was talking to another student with curly hair and slightly taller than him. But everyone was taller than him so never mind.

"Hi there, welcome to the Hamlet House! You must be Asher..." he took a second to look at the list "Hall, right?" Asher nodded his head and then remembered that the adult couldn't see him and he was supposed to use his words.

"Yes, sir. Pleasure to meet you" he added quickly. The man answered back and looked at another sheet.

"Let's see where I put you on the seating plan. Ah, yes, you're over there. Between Nicholas Nelson and Charles Spring. Nick is in year 11, just one year older than you, Charlie is in year 10 so, you'll probably have some classes with him. Maybe that's something you can both talk about... or not and stay quiet for the first and last periods of the day". The man shrugged like he really couldn't care less.

Asher turned around and looked at the other boys. One of them was the same boy who had been talking with the teacher when he first came in; the other was a ginger-headed boy that looked like he could smash a watermelon with just his hands. He gulped, what was his mother thinking at joining him in an all-boys school? He sighed ready to start walking when another thought came to his mind.

"Wait, sir. I was meaning to ask, what's a form group?" He knew that must have been a very stupid question, but he didn't care. The teacher stared at him like he wasn't expecting that question, but it didn't surprise him either.

Even though the man took a few minutes to explain to him, Asher still didn't get it. Although he decided not to annoy him anymore and thanked the adult. He finally went to sit at his place while inspecting the two boys, more like admiring. They seemed nice, but he knew not to trust people.