~13~ Kept in check

*Unedited.*
Word count: 2849

~~~ Wednesday, October 13th ~~~

°
°
°

My thoughts were unsettled - calm yet masked by numb nerves waiting for the chance to fall into slumber.

The fond memories of the night before were passed, the night spent staring at the ceiling in wait for sleep to take over - now nothing more than mere...well, memories - time spent in the comfort of a friend's presence.

No longer did my mind shut off, unwind against the laughter shared in times I needed it - desperately needed as some form of a distraction I could no longer lean on in a physical sense.

My crutch was gone.

But I was fine. I would tell myself I was until it was engraved into every surface of my being.

I was fine.

My pace slows - thoughts keeping me busy from the drawl of busy hallways I found myself navigating on my way to my next class.

'One more...' the pep-talk to myself fell on deaf ears - a recollection of lost confidence that was only answered with a soft sigh. 'Just one more class and you're home free...until work tonight.'

I needed to keep myself together - focus on something that wasn't the looming sense of dread.

I turn to what was my destination for the remainder of the school day. A long room similar to most every other in the building.

Eggwhite walls decorated in boards and posters - shelves filled with thick textbooks - desks lining the floor like prison lunchtables, some of which would be occupied by the inmates that were the upcoming young adults enrolled in the institution.
Splashes of color were found in certain places, littered around the academic placements in droves that seemed forced or somewhat dull in comparison to natural decoration.

The electrical, florescent lights above shone in white hues - with a man-made irritation against the little remnants of shadows hiding under objects or near opposing corners.

An annoyance ignored by most, easily overturned - though it certainly didn't help with the constricting headache cursing at the want for silence and dark peace...even just for a while.

I felt the want to shut my eyes - to shy away from the bright light as I made my way into the room, my hands busy with the task of adjusting the strap of my bag.

Eyes.
Eyes.
So many eyes following my introduction to the space, paranoia to be pushed back -

I exhale - my mind forced to a blank peace and I keep my gaze on the floor, a more timid outlook to those glancing in my direction to get the heads up of my nonexistent want to socialize.
My pace slows and I draw in a small breath ‐ trying my best to ignore that sickly feeling my senses had picked up on.

The feeling wanting to burn holes into my frame, gazes watching each miniscule movement made - unseen eyes...

Not one attempt was made to glance at the students trickling in from the hallway - instead my focus lay in a blurred state leaving no mind for my surroundings.

My bag is set to rest on the floor beside my self assigned desk near the far corner, and I slide into the chair before leaning forward - elbows on the desk as I ran a hand through my hair.

A little over an hour.

"...you're fine." I reassure in mumbled tones to myself, my eyes falling closed and I hide my face between hands that wanted to shake off numb feelings - to pinpoint whatever reason was behind my returned, sixth sense.